1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP- Nero is just problematic -another problem

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jipjoe, Nov 2, 2007.

1. jipjoe

jipjoe Member

With so much potential yet to fail in execution. Purchased online. Not a pirated copy.

XP Quad Core system, 8800gtx, 4gb DDR2, etc...

problem, with Nero 7 and trying to edit AVCHD files the computer would always lock up when adding titles, effects,etc....
    So, I wait and now an update is available which cured that problem. But now the video is choppy. The video sort of gets jerky all over the place. No more hangups but now the annoying jerkiness. I completely deleted it through the registry as well and reinstalled. Same problem. Installed on another computer. Same problem.
    Any ideas? Latest drivers on everything, no change.
    thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. vanderrg

vanderrg Member

Similar issue here...my system isn't as fast (Pentium D 930, 2gig, 8800gt) but whenever I do anything with Nero using AVCHD files as a source the resulting output (regardless of bitrate, resolution, or file type) is always jittery.

I'm stuck because I don't know whether it's just my PC being too slow (I know AVCHD is supposed to require fast hardware) or if it's something else...youe experience certainly makes me think it's something else besides my system...and I don't want to buy a new computer if it won't fix the problem...

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

is the video choppy on pc only or played on a player for this type file to your tv etc aswell? if not on tv then could be a codec issue?

4. vanderrg

vanderrg Member

Man, it's interesting you would say that...since I last posted I did some more troubleshooting and I was beginning to wonder the same thing about it being a codec issue.

Here are the facts:
    1. As previously stated regardless of what output choices I use...whenever I use m2ts files as the source for Nero the output is choppy. It is choppy whether I view the output files on my computer (using either Nero Showtime or WMP) or if I burn to DVD using NERO (which requires Nero to first recode the files into DVD format, of course) and then play back on a standalone DVD player. So I know the video is REALLY being converted and encoded with "choppy" output since the DVD of the converted files plays choppy on a separate DVD player.

2. I can view the original m2ts files just fine using the motion picture browser that came with the camera...no jitteriness

BUT (and here's the new part)...

3. I tried using Nero and WMP to play the original, NATIVE m2ts files, before being recoded by Nero into anything else...and saw the SAME CHOPPY PLAYBACK.

Now I'm a layman and will probably use horribly wrong terminology here...but this leads me to believe that maybe the problem isn't with Nero's ability to recode the m2ts format into other formats (i.e. since Nero's output files play exactly like the original m2ts files do when played by Nero...) but rather could be related to an inability of Nero to "read" or "play" the original m2ts files smoothly...since the choppy output files play the exact same as the original files WHEN PLAYED BY ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE SOFTWARE THAT CAME WITH THE CAMERA...it leads me to wonder if maybe there's an issue with the Codec that Nero (and also WMP since it also plays the native files choppy) are using to read/play the m2ts files...could that explain all fo this?

Is it maybe a different codec being used by the Sony Motion Picutre Viewer software which plays the native m2ts files just fine?

How could I test this? Is there any way to identify what codec we're talking about or to change what codec Nero is using...maybe to make it match whatever the Motion Picture Viewer is using?!?!?

I wish I knew more about codecs and how they can affect stuff like this...but any troubleshooting advice is very welcome.

For the record When I first got the camera a week or so ago I had a 7600Gt video card, and when I mentioned the choppy playback on another forum someone told me that I should upgrade my video card. So I bought an 8800GT which is much faster...and it didn't change anything at all as far as this choppy playback goes. Would that speak more to a codec issue?

Thanks very much for responding - any further help is also much appreciated-

BV

5. vanderrg

vanderrg Member

One more thing...I believe you were asking specifically if playback is choppy when the original m2ts files are played back on a separate player designed to play those files. While I understand that Blu-ray players can play m2ts files burned on disc, I don't own a Blu Ray player so I can't give you an answer. But I do think the m2ts files are okay in their native form because they play back perfectly smoothly when I view them on my camera's LCD screen or when I view them on my PC using the software that came with the camera (Sony's Motion Picture Viewer).

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

im new to this type file and not done any converting with it. m2ts

but, i do know its all new and part experimental and also i see the same thing happens with other video files and usually the codec or a conflict with additional codecs can cause this on pc...

from what you say nero and its codec are NOT good here and maybe not with other codecs installed, trial and error on this one i think...

i spose you dont have any standalone codecs loaded for AVCHD files installed, only from software?

not to sure what other software will convert your type file as not done any myself, i just know the relation with codecs and file formats and there problems...

one thing i did have was nvidia true vidia or something it was called installed that came with my pc, that caused this prob with xvid/avi files same syptoms as you...

just check whats installed on your pc via ADD/REMOVE programs, control panel...

you useing vista or xp ?

could try here for feree codecs = http://www.free-codecs.com/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  7. vanderrg

vanderrg Member

I'm checking out more codecs. How can I tell what codecs are currently installed on my computer?

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

load the file to GSPOT it will tell you what codecs are there for this type file or should... audio/video

9. vanderrg

vanderrg Member

Will do...now if I find a good codec that will play the file smoothly...is there any way to get Nero to use that codec instead of what it's currently using?