1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on capturing/authoring, Please

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jtak, Aug 18, 2004.

1. jtak

jtak Member

Hi, I'm completely new at this, so please bear with me. I have read quite a few postings relating to this subject, but I'm just confused...
    I'm going to order the Canopus ADVC-100, it seems to be widely accepted as the best. A few things I want to accomplish.
    1. Transfer VHS to DVD (some w/ and some w/o editing)
    2. Copy/Backup DVD/VCD
    3. Isolate and copy sound tracks from DVD to CD (if possible)
    My System: Laptop, P4, 3.0Ghz HT, 768MRAM, 60Gb main and 120Gb secondary by firewire, 64M Graphics, XP Pro.
    I have Sonic MyDVD LE V5.0 and Windows Movie Maker.
    My understanding is that ADVC-100 does not come with any software. Will the software I have do the job well, or should I start shopping for software? I would like to do the job right the first time, meaning using the best software/hardware that would give me the best results.
    Would really appreciate your insights. Thanks.

2. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

Jtak,

There are a couple of more recent threads that address this. It might prevent re-inventing the wheel to review them.

There are *many* commbinations that work for different people. The general consensus is to avoid Pinnace and Nero authoring software.

I use Ulead VideoStudio for the entire process--start to finish--and have had no problems. I use a digital camcorder with firewire as a video capture device.

Hope this helps.

bob

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes the Canopus ADVC-100 doesn"t come with Software but is Compatible with any DV Capture program...
    Windows Movie Maker Can capture from the ADVC-100 but if you use it to edit it will try to Render your Files a WMV Files which you do NOT want to do, So if you use Movie Maker to edit make sure you render the File useing the "DV-AVI NTSC" Setting...

After rendering to DV AVI you just need to encode the Edited File to Mpeg2 for DVD and author the File to DVD useing a DVD authoring program...
    Since you have sonic MyDVD you can use it to encode and author the DVD..
    You could also use sonic to Capture the Video Directly to Mpeg2 but the quality wouldn"t be as good......

Good Luck