1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help on cpu purchase

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by scoob981, Jan 23, 2005.

1. scoob981

scoob981 Guest

I need help. I'm trying to decide between the AMD 64 3700+ (2.4ghz, 1600 mhz fsb, 1mb L2 cache I think) and the P4 540 (3 ghz 800 mhz fsb, 1mb l2 cache, ht tech. i thnk). Which on of these would be my best bet to buy. Mainly to play a few games, must be good at multitasking, converting video/audio...please help. I have read too many diff. opions. Also what mobo would be good to use with the cpu.

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

The Athlon would be faster. I have an old Athlon XP that runs at 2.5GHz that benchs almost the same as a 3.2GHz p4 and a 2.4Ghz A64 would whip my ass.

3. Uugah

Uugah Member

There is another post on this forum about AMD vs INTEL.....The majority seem to feel that the AMD is geared more towards the gaming side whereas the INTEL is designed for the multi-tasking side.

Personally,I have used AMD's for all of my machines and havent seen a dramatic enough drop in the multi-tasking side to warrant a switch to INTEL.However,I have always been a big fan of LOTS of RAM.