1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by TheToad30, Mar 13, 2003.

1. TheToad30

TheToad30 Member

Hi all. I am curious if the following question I am going to ask makes a big difference or not.

I just purchased a Combo drive from Samsung, the SM-348. I thought that I was getting the retail version of the drive but I misread and ordered the bulk version. There is no difference between the two except that the bulk version has 2 mb of memory, and the retail has 8mb.

Is the memory in a burner and DVD combo that big of a deal? Is this something that I need to return to get the better one, for a more than $20 increase in price?

I was reading online that the memory buffer isn't that big of a deal now that there are countless buffer underrun protections. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

The extra memory shouldn't really make a big difference b/c of modern buffer underrun technology.

Plus in Nero and CloneCD, you can manually set more system memory for burning.

As long as you don't do too many things at once [burning and doing a video capture], then you're fine.