1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on W810i ...any way of playing mp3 ring tunes ?

Discussion in 'Sony phones' started by knight666, Oct 7, 2006.

1. knight666

knight666 Member

hey there Guys

I just got my W810i phone which is pretty nice .... but one thing i dont know how to and i hope some one can help me out ... tht is ... i transfered an mp3 ring tune to my w810i phone and tried to select it as a ring tune but it wouldnt allow me to do so... does anyone know if there is any software tht i can use ... to convert mp3 to the proper format so tht i can play those ring tunes ? cuz some ring tunes on the w810i are just ok LOL ......

but i have made some really nice ones on Audacity .... i hope some one can help me out with this problem .....

on the phone it looks like if the w810i plays only MIDI's ?

hope i can get some help on this issue ....

thanks everyone

2. cyanide19

cyanide19 Member

you should beable to go to settings then ring tunes and alerts then go down to ring tunes and you should beable to select and mp3 on the memory card.

3. aciid

aciid Member

I have the exact same problem and Iv tried everything and nothing seems to work. but I have a different model so that could be the problems as well.

4. yetagain

yetagain Guest

The phone HAS TO BE "UNLOCKED" like many you can buy overseas on Ebay. Your is definitely NOT UNLOCKED as Sony will catch heat for copyright infringement on the songs. You will not be able to fully unlock your phone (if even possible to begin with - which I highly doubt) unless you hack it and that is tough........and dangerous as it may disable or debilitate your phone. Sorry but if you want 'any MP3' as a ringer then you must buy a phone "unlocked". Good luck.

5. Jaeyen

Jaeyen Member

I'm a dealer for rogers, and i've noticed, It's not having to be unlocked as far as I've seen. I believe it actually needs to be flashed with the older software. The mp3 ringtune block was implemented to reinforce the sale of online ringtones. I know they usd to be able to use the Mp3,s but all the new handsets being produced have been blocked.

6. aciid

aciid Member

yea my provider is rogers
    do you think its possible to unblock it?

7. yetagain

yetagain Guest

Thank you for re-enforcing my first claim............that you have to "unlock" (a general term) by hacking it or screwing with the software. Cell phone software is soooooooo volatile that if one tiny mistake is made then the phone will not work at all. Never heard of Rogers. What is that? Either way..........NO you will not be able to unlock your phone unless you hack the firmware and that's a chance many would recommend against you taking; your phone though. BTW, it's not because services want you simply to buy THEIR ringtones, it's a copyright issue. Services are just reaping a huge benefit by charging 2 bucks for a 15 second ringer knowing that you can by a full song for .99 cents. Good luck.

8. yetagain

yetagain Guest

Thank you for re-enforcing my first claim............that you have to "unlock" (a general term) by hacking it or screwing with the software. Cell phone software is soooooooo volatile that if one tiny mistake is made then the phone will not work at all. Never heard of Rogers. What is that? Either way..........NO you will not be able to unlock your phone unless you hack the firmware and that's a chance many would recommend against you taking; your phone though. BTW, it's not because services want you simply to buy THEIR ringtones, it's a copyright issue. Services are just reaping a huge benefit by charging 2 bucks for a 15 second ringer knowing that you can by a full song for .99 cents. Good luck.

9. kurtisp

kurtisp Guest

I recently purchased a w810i from The Carphone Warehouse and is on o2 and it is able to play mp3 ringtones that i have copied on to it.

10. yetagain

yetagain Guest

kurtisp--

BECAUSE IT"S UNLOCKED and that's the way they are selling them at that 'dime-a-dozen' shady operation of an online cellular reseller. Nice deal for you though for getting it unlocked............checked out doing some cell hacking on my own like raising max volume gain, increasing storage cap. from 1gb to 2gb, d/l'ing third party games and even 'unlocking' phones. Not a good idea because many hacks will render phone totally inoperable.

11. mrdevaneh

mrdevaneh Member

I bought this phone from Cingular in the states and it also seemed like it wouldn't let me play mp3's as ring tones. But after playing with it for a while, I found out the only requirement is that the song be less than 600Kbytes. I tried different bit rates and didn't chage anything either, as long as the song is less than 600K I can use it as a ringtone.

Also I havn't unlocked the phone or modified the firmware in any way.

12. kurtisp

kurtisp Guest

Yeah its good that it is unlocked, saves me some money :D....yeah i agree things like that can be a bit risky.

13. Jaeyen

Jaeyen Member

Okay, you've never heard of Rogers? Are you living under a rock? Rogers is the lead GSM cellular network provider in Canada. They also provide HDTV, Home phone, and Internet. For some reason I have a feeling your going ask whats Canada. And that my friend, I'm just not going to answer. It's NOT copy right laws because whats the difference from hearing the MP3s on your phone through the player or hearing them when someone calls you? None. It is so that service providers can make their money from ringtones. You must have never seen how much those really cost. All providers which I've noticed sell ringtones that are MP3 quality range from $2 to $3 (which is your 15 cent guess times 20) Plus the user still has to pay for data charges of usage and size of the file. For example, Rogers charges 5 cents/kb to a none data customer on pay per use. In the end, one ringtone makes Rogers up $7 per ringtone. And the average consumer user downloads 4 ringtones in the course of 2 years. So you wanna do the math, Service providers make way more than 15 cents off of ringtones. Even if they were only making 15 cents off of ringtones, the amount that customers download, it's still a huge chunk that service providers take advantage of making money off of, so why not cut off capabilites to use your own MP3s as ringtones so you can make more money? There is no real reason. Because you would want to make as much money as you can.

Kewl, I'm going to try that out.

14. Jaeyen

Jaeyen Member

yeah, I said try to flash it with the older software.

Oh yeah, one more thing. You can flash a phone with older software and the phone can still be locked to a service provider. The term unlocked doesn't mean to just reflash it. The term unlocked (open line in asia) means you've unlocked the phone to be capable of using other service providers sim cards. Where is a locked phone would reject another carrier then it's sellers carrier. You shouldn't really try to jump into a convo acting like you know everything.

15. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

Just out of interest, I had a K700 locked to Vodafone and I couldn't use MP3 for ringtones, yet my newer Vodafone locked K750 allows me to use Mp3 and ringtones.

16. Jaeyen

Jaeyen Member

Well, the k700 wasn't an mp3 player, but it could use mp3 quality ringtones. Where the K750 is an mp3 player. The k700 had enough memory to hold 3 or 4 mp3s but the phone shouldn't recognize any files bigger than so much and maybe a certain bitrate.

17. essy

essy Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  18. Jaeyen

Jaeyen Member

Your best bet is to probably find someone who can unlock it, because they would have access to the proper cabling and possibly the right software.

19. fleshyman

fleshyman Member

I hear a lot of people are trying to figure out how to use mp3s as ring tones for the SE w810i. I will tell you how I did it and I am not a computer geek so it is pretty simple. You will need an audio editing program so you can set your singing tunes as ringing tones (I used Cool Edit). This was done without flashing the phone, or downloading a program to the phone, just plain old computer windows work.

If the file you want as a ring tone is already in mp3 format, good. If it is in iTunes format (the m4a or something, I really have no idea what that is other than I know it’s an audio extension that all of my iTunes are in), I’ll discuss that in a minute. All I can do is tell you is how to do it. I really don’t know if this is the easiest way or not, but this is how I figured out how to get my deliciously elegant audio elements into my jumbo Dumbos. And if you haven’t figured it out yet either, then this might help you so don’t make fun of how simple this is or you might find yourself lost in a huge world of pain with my name plastered all over the billboards.

Edit the song in your audio editing software (again I used Cool Edit). I thought the file had to be around 240-270k (ish) for it to be usable as a ring tone, but this isn’t true. The length before your ringer times out and goes to voicemail is around 22 seconds so edit your symphonic audio pleasures to those specs. (length @ 22 sec.) Most of my ring tones end up being around 440-480k without messing with any of that bit rate bidness in the (Cool Edit) audio program.

(This is how I edited my songs in Cool Edit, if you know how to edit or have a different audio program, you can skip this part)

In Cool Edit, I snip about 22 seconds worth of whatever I want to hear. After you have the audio clip edited for maximum cochlea and eardrum pleasure, highlight the back end of the clip and fade it out. Do a 10dB audio boost for almost any tune you sampled. It sounds better from your phone. (By sounds better I mean kick you in the pants loud). I say almost any file because songs with low bass starts to distort too much if you try to pump it up bigger than Hans and Franz. Go with a 3 or 6dB boost. Oh, and don't forget that you usually pick up before 22 seconds so if you are having a jones to hear Huey Lewis do wop harmonize with the News in the second verse of "Stuck With You," make sure to edit those melodic delights towards the first 10 seconds of your audio cut (because that is probably all your hear of it before you answer your phone).

Plug the phone in to the computer with that messed up proprietary USB plug they give you. Why another cord, man? Come on and make charging a standard small end of a USB plug to the wall plug. And don’t get me started about the whack no headphone jack situation... Don’t misunderstand; this phone is nothing short of awesome. We laugh together at holiday card commercials and make love every night, but these things are easy and should be no brainers. I digress…..

Skip using the Disc2Phone software, I found that it loses the compression or something (actually I don't know what is happening to tell you the truth, but that sounds good so I go with it) and it starts up about 4-5 seconds late in the file I edited. I said F that.

With the phone plugged in and in “file transfer” mode, go to start > my computer. The phone should pop up as a hard drive (if you have a phone card, it will show as a separate hard drive as well). Open either drive (phone or phone card); this will be where you save your ring tones. I use the phone card because I have a 1 gig card and I flex harder than Van Damme in Lionhart. Anyway, open either one (PHONE CARD is F: drive for me) then open the "music" file.

Create a new folder for your ring tones. I called mine “A Ring a Ding Ding.” You can call you whatever yours want, but it won’t be as bad assed as mine, recognize. So, if you use Cool Edit, you can just target your save thru file>save as and save it to the folder you just created. Probably you can do this with any audio software, but again, I am not a technical dude, so keep it to yourself before you get multiple Hacksaw Jim Dugan chops across the chest.

After transfer, unplug the phone and wait for it to quit lagging (does anyone else have this problem if you plug in and out of the computer?) anyway, when the phone gets back online, go to its homepage. (Mine is a little orange Cingular dude floating around like an a$$hole on ecstasy.) Hit the “menu” button, then go to “settings” (aka wrench icon). I must admit, I found the wrench icon initially a bit standoffish and distant compared to the other icons in the menu, but once you navigate to it, it changes….the minimalist addition of the screwdriver juxtaposed ever so delicately underneath makes me think that the wrench is not standoffish at all, rather it is one of the most emotionally complex icons Sony Ericsson decided to use in the w810i menu. Kudos to you, developers. What a nice touch. Select the settings icon….. push over to the right to get to “sounds and alerts” (a fancy little red musical note). Push down once to get to “ring tone.” Push “select” and scroll down until you find that folder you named earlier and open it. It should have all of your ring tones that you saved in there for your audio pleasure. Select which one you want and quicker than a hamburger through Kate Moss, you got a fancy new default mp3 ring tone! If select (in the lower left) is grayed out (greyed out? I always get mixed up with gray vs. grey. Gray wolf! Grey eyes. Mash potatoes and greyvee.), you need to look at the file size and adjust it in the audio program (because it is probably too big) and reload it to the phone. Again, without messing with anything in my audio program (Cool Edit) the files were about 440-480k and played just fine.

If you want to add a particular ring tone to a particular contact, go to the “my stuff” folder in the menu, then go to sounds, then find your file. Hit the “more” button at the bottom right of the screen, scroll to the “use as” and push to the right. You should be able to scroll down to “contact ring tone.” Click it and attach it to whoever is in your phone book or add a new contact. If “contact ring tone” is grayed out, resize the file to a smaller size and reload it to the phone.

If you are trying to hack into your iTunes files, you can do that too. Don’t tell or I will get arrested for some bogus, trumped up charge from Apple and they will come after me with nanotechnology and I can’t handle that in my life right now. Really it isn’t that hard to figure out so I think I could win that lawsuit anyway. Matter of fact, I will quote this guy from another website on what to do because he puts it a little more succinctly:

Converting iTunes to MP3
    If you right-click on a music track in iTunes, there is an option to Convert Selection to some other format. Probably it says "Convert Selection to AAC", which is useless because your iTunes tracks are already in AAC format! So click on Edit / Preferences / Importing then change the Import Using from the default setting to "MP3 Encoder". Click OK to save this setting. Now when you right-click on a music track, there is an option to Convert Selection to MP3.

Do that and you can convert your m4a to mp3s. Then just drag your file to (or open it in) the audio software and trim it up. If you can’t convert your iTunes to mp3s, burn the file to a CD then load it up and you can convert it to mp3. Copy the converted mp3 to the audio editing software you will use to clip your song and follow that tasty little recipe.

Also, if you are looking to add songs to your phone, again, bypass the Disc2Phone software and open up the music menu in either the phone or phone card drive. Create individual folders for artists if you want, or just put them all in one folder, however you want to navigate it. You can drag and drop files directly from iTunes to there or any mp3s you have on your computer. At least this worked for me.

Again, I know it is pretty simple and you might be rolling your eyes at me, but, you know what? It is simple and it WORKS. And I get so many chicks you’d think you were watching a rap video but you’re not. It’s just me walking down the street with all of these chicks and my phone with ring tones cooler than Steve McQueen in Bullitt. So I wouldn’t care if you thought it was simple anyway. Oh and I ask that if you are in public, do everyone a favor and answer your phone no matter how cool you think your ring tone is. If it is just you and your friends around that’s cool, but in public I ask for the good of the people that you answer your call or send it to voicemail in a timely fashion. Most folks do not want to hear other folks’ ring tones, no matter how awesome you think The Logical Song is by Supertramp. If you are wondering, yes, I made that ring tone. It, ah….it pretty much rocks dude. Ok, this is all. I hope it helped someone.

20. flick007

flick007 Member

Thanks fleshyman,

Gonna get me some tunes now.
    Has anyone tried using Nero instead?

[​IMG]