1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! PC to Stereo sound issues

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by sevi28, Aug 27, 2004.

1. sevi28

sevi28 Member

Hello everyone. I am trying to connect my PC to my HTIB and I am having a frustrating time getting the audio to be loud enough. I have a very basic setup. My PC has a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card which I have connected a 1/8in to RCA plug to the line out on the soundcard to the Game/AUX jacks on my receiver. My receiver is a Panasonic SC-HT05. The problem is that the sound is very low coming out of the receiver and I really have to crank the volume. I have tried connecting the soundcard to the DVD plugs as well with the same result. I know my sound card works because if I plug in a pair of powered speakers the volume is fine. My understanding was that the receiver would have some type of pre-amp or had the ability to handle the audio from the PC. Am I missing something completely??? The only thing I can think of is that my receiver might not have the power to drive the sound from my PC. With this specific HTIB the Sub powers the receiver and the other speakers. Could this be the issue?? I realize this HTIB is relatively cheap, but I can't imagine that it is unable to handle external audio devices. However, if this is the case is it possible to buy some type of pre-amp to go between the sound card and receiver??

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Sevi28

2. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

have you tried increasing the gain from the computer side? also, check if ther is something in the htib manual about increasing gain

3. KingVlad

KingVlad Member

This may be the nature of some things... I noticed when I hook PCs up to my Onkyo amplifier, I have to turn the gain way up to get a normal volume level. Fortunately, I use a mixer in between so it's easy to do this. Turtle Beach, Sound Blaster, and AC'97 sound devices all seem to have fairly low output levels compared to most stereo equipment. Perhaps someone here knows why? If you're unable to find a better solution, consider buying a cheap 2-input DJ mixer with a gain control, to use as a preamp. Behringer products have balanced inputs and outputs, and are priced reasonably.

4. sevi28

sevi28 Member

Thanks for the replies. I was able to crank the PC volume all the way up and this fixed the problem. I think this is my best option for now.

5. tls1

tls1 Guest

I am having the same issue when connecting my tv and ird to the panasonic sc-ht05 via stereo rca jacks. The built in AM/FM radio, cd-dvd with optical cable are fine. Any suggestions are welcome. I thoroughly examined the instruction manual but cannot find anything.