1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! Pioneer 106 wont burn anything!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RSB, Sep 19, 2003.

1. RSB

RSB Member

Please somebody help, I have a pioneer 106d -+RW and im having no luck burning dvd videos.

I have a dual PIII 866 (not the best I appreciate!) with 512Mb ram and two 20Gb Hdd, 54Mb Geforce 4MX440,with a pioneer 106 and a lite-on 163h dvd rom. Running XP SP1.

I have tried many different programs to make dvd videos with the following results:

CloneDVD - 1 +r burn, 1 -R burn, 3 +R coasters

DVD Decrypter - 1 +R Burn, 1 +RW Burn, 2 +R Coasters

CopytoDVD - 4 +R Coasters

DVDXCopy xpress - 1 +R Coaster

All of which (Excluding once on CloneDVD) Said that it had been successful. They wont play on my lite-on, my 106 or my dvdr-75 recorder!

Also my lite on fails to read any DVD most of the time (including Originals)

I found on a forum that CopytoDVD wont write to +R's on the 106 but i cant find an excuse for the rest.

PLEASE HELP as its costing me a fortune!

I dont really want to buy -r's (as ive got loads of +r's and my standalone recorder uses +r but reads both)

Any light on the subject would be apprieciated.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What -R media re you using?

3. RSB

RSB Member

The -R (only had one disk) was Bigpockets.co.uk own brand, the +r's are Datawrite, Mirror and Verbatim and the +RW is Philips.

4. akoli

akoli Member

What process you following ie;

1 Are you copying on the fy.
    or

2 Ripping to hard disc shrinking then trying to burn

TRy ripping with dvd decrypter and then checking the movie on your hard disc for any error or jumps . As I'm hazarding a guess but if yer liteon struggles to read original cd's this may be your problem.

Else yer trying to burn at too high a speed for your system (I dont agree with this but its a suggestion)

5. RSB

RSB Member

I usually use the 106 to rip (and shrink if neccessary) to the hard drive first as the lite on is a waste of time, altough I've heard loads of people say that they think their the dogs danglies. The movies work fine when they are on the hard drive.

6. RSB

RSB Member

I burn at 2.4 as when I select 1 speed it dvd decrypter tells me its an incompatible speed and runs at 2.4 anyway!

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Are ALL your files residing in a folder called VIDEO_TS (in uppercase).

ie (rootdrive):\VIDEO_TS

8. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times :- Rip with DVDshrink and burn with Nero, I have burn't untold amount of discs this way and have made not one coaster.

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

DSYF3R

Well, if he does it your way with NO explanation - do you think it will work....Hmmmmm, I doubt it very much.....

We need to get to the source of this problem, not just sweep it under the carpet and try something different - because that doesn't fix anything.....

Pardon me for being blunt........

10. koola

koola Guest

Are your DVD+R disc's for data or video as I got a disc with my 106 and it is only for data and NOT for video.
    Could this be the problem?

11. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

the most popular(i.e. successful) programs that people use are nero and recordnow max. I have found that Oriphus has the best guides for these burning programs under his signature.

12. RSB

RSB Member

Sorry in the delay in the reply, my computer completly died on me, I booted it up to the message "your registry file was either lost or corrupt but was replaced by a backup / older version successfully" to which it then reset itself (and repeated the process) then it wouldn't let me reinstall (kept failing to install setup files) so I had to do a complete format in the end. will have to let you know the score in a couple of days when all is back on.

In answer to the questions yes i'm using a folder called VIDEO_TS and yes as far as i'm aware the DVD are for multi-purpose use.

I have a strange feeling my rebuild (yes I had to do that as well!) and reformat might have srted the problem because it all seems ALOT faster than it was, I also might have a problem with my sound card, could that be causing the problems? when I turn on the windows sound scheme (not that anyone would want to be assulted by beeps and baongs continuosly) my computer resets itself randomly. Will take it out if problem persists.

Thanks for all your help so far, will keep you posted when all is settled down.

P.S. sorry to anyone bored from reading all that!"

13. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

To BaaBaa,

I guess it is pretty hard to look up the guides for DVDshrink and Nero, there hidden so well on the forum homepage and linked to in about 4,000,000 posts... But I guess you are right we should put tutorials on every post that we make.

ps: Pardon "me" for being blunt.

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmm - sarcasm nice for the weekend......

Don't talk to me about guides cos I have written a couple of em'.

This newbie has a problem which I am trying to help him out with, it does not help anyone when you just state to use such and such - this does not give ANYONE ANY understanding of what has gone wrong OR what the problem is - it maybe his method he is using and if I can provide a few pointers to help him on his way then I will do, what I won't do is suggest he uses OTHER software and give him NO LINKS on how to use it......

Don't forget, what works for you may NOT necessarily work for him.....

Myself if I use dvd shrink and nero - I get problems.....

Lets not squabble about it, cos I don't come to these forums to argue or throw sarcastic remarks about, but to pass on my experience and knowledge that may benefit others - and funnily enough that is what I am trying to do....I also do not entertain getting into arguments with newbies, cos it's a waste of my time and delays the help that I can provide.....

It is funny alot of friends of mine do not come to afterdawn anymore because of the constant bitching and advice to use other software rather than looking into the problem - I am now understanding why.....

(I am now unsubcribed from this thread, so post with pleasure)

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Now wheres the fun it that ;-)
    I can relate to that - though it happens less on this forum than other ones i've seen
    A feck - how u gonna see my replies then :-(

@ DSYF3R - A bit of detail can be handy
    @ BaaBaa - You in a bad mood ;-)

16. RSB

RSB Member

Flippin hell! I go offline for a few days and WW3 breaks out! (or is that ww4 now?). Just to let you all know my computer has retired on grounds of ill health (motherboard is *^£%ed). I'm not entirely convinced that this was causing my burning problem though. Too skint to upgrade at the mo so i'll have to get back to you all when I'm $'ed up again. In the mean time i've aquired a laptop from work but it means no burning for now! :(

Thanks for everyones help and the entertaining arguments it has kept my spirits up whilst I've been assulting (and insulting my PC)

Regards,

17. kingfenix

kingfenix Member

I use the A06 drive, along with Memorex 4X -R media, and I dont get any coasters at all...

My Computer is a 3.06 HT CPU w/DDR333 Ram 1024 Mb

KF

18. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

I am using the 106 drive w/ 4X -R Piodata. These best approach that has worked every single time for me is using DVD Shrink to Rip the DVD to your HD and then use Nero 6 to burn the DVD (need to burn as DVD-Movie format and then move all of the files into the VIDEO-TS folder). The supplied software that came w/ the drive seems to be very unstable and will give you quite a bit of error messages along w/ a coaster. Hope this helps.