1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help playing backups

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Texdude, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Texdude

Texdude Member

I recently got a gamecube for xmas, I think its a 101 version
    anyway, I bought a viper EX mod chip, the chip works fine, but I can't seem to play Super Mario Sunshine or Zelda Wind waker for more than 5 minutes without getting a DRE.

heres what I am working with:

Viper EX w/ cobra 2.1 BIOS
    Maxell mini DVD-R media
    a new(2 day old) Samsung DL 18X DVD-/+RW burner. it burns all dvd media
    Analog Multimeter

I messed with my laser, I think it started around 600OHM
    tryed it with Mario at 100...120, 180, 200, 210. and eveything from 400-300 OHM but with little succes. I got wink waker to play longer, mario plaed into the game well once, but now it gives me DRE on the into video. Wind Waker gives me a DRE after leaving grandmas house at the begining of the game. is there anything I can try I havent already tryed?

I have some Ritek mini DVD-R coming this week. here is a link to them, can someone tell me if they will work out better?

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-mini-4x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-printable.html

I bought a 20 pack

so when buring them what program shoul I use? and should I try fixing all imiges I burn befor doing it?
    Right now I have Blidwrite, AnyDVD, and new Nero software.

I burned 3 games, with nero, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wink Waker, and FF Crystal Chronicles, on Maxell mini DVD-R, all burned successully, so I don't think its my burner. But I did not fix any of them, and I cannot get them to play very well.

what can I optimize?

2. Hert13

Hert13 Member

For me, most DRE problems were solved by using Ritek DVDs, If you get a DRE after a few minutes there's a good chance it could be that.
    But lately what's caused me the most problems was Nero 7, I burned Zelda TP 5 times and always got the same DRE after a few minutes, then I burned it with Nero 6 and it was fine!
    Not sure why but any image burned with Nero 7 was bad, even PC games!
    And I never played with pot, using good media I never had to, plus you can burn out the laser if you go too high or too low.

A lot of people don't have problems with Nero7, but if I was you I'd try burning them with something else, I use Nero 6.
    Good luck

3. Texdude

Texdude Member

I have read the same thing about nero 6 working for others that got a error but the disc read after burning with nero 6. I will give it a try

thanks

PS, I noticed a huge difference while exploring the disc, same game, different burn, one burned with nero 7 on a mini DVD-R, no change to to imige, just rename, and there was a lot of DIRs and sub DIRs, the second disc was fixed using fstfix, imige was 3.5GB due to the fixing, so I used a full size DVD-R, and burned it with Clone CD, at 1x instead of 2.4x on nero 7, and the disc was very neater and looking more orginized.

basically what Im trying to ask now is, can anyone tell me how to use fstfix and then reduce the imige size back to 1.4 to burn onto a mini dvd?

4. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

have you tried fstfix gamename.gcm f s t?
    or maybe just fstfix gamename.gcm f?
    the 'f' option 'should' make it fullsize, i.e. 1.5gb

I always use Dolphin to test my isos, it may be slow, but if it works in Dolphin, it should work on the GC

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  5. Texdude

Texdude Member

thanks for the idea, I just tryed it this moring, and made one more coaster, but, trying a different setup, without a g, I fixed the imige with f s t, ona regular fullsize DVD-R, after the imige came out fixed, i left it named what it was named.iso, butned it at X4 with nero 6, and it works on cobra 2.1!

so far I got past all the other previous DRE's but didn't play it long time yet because I wanted to double check my other media, sinc I got one other game to run, and another to run but not in game. they did'nt work on cobra 2.1

I am happy with this imige, I have just one question now.

I have viper GC EX, DOL-101 GC, & USB adaptor, can I backup a original GC game to PC with my setup, any way to do this would be great