1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help playing/converting UDF formatted DVD for play on home player

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by tamula, Feb 6, 2005.

1. tamula

tamula Guest

Hi-
    I have a Hitachi video cam. I recorded a DVD on it (it records on full size DVD RAM discs). The disc is UDF formatted. I can see it on the computer - and it plays, and I can copy it on to a DVD-R, but I can't play it in a standalone player. What do I need to do here? Run it thru ifoedit, maybe - I'm not certain how to correctly format the video so it can be played by home players. Any ideas, please?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

not sure what files you have on this disc????

can you load it to dvd shrink? i think udf can be ok!?! or it may be udf/iso?

let us know...

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

not sure what files you have on this disc????

can you load it to dvd shrink? i think udf can be ok!?! or it may be udf/iso?

let us know...

4. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I have a similar problem. I tried to load it with Shrink, but it wants to see an ISO file. I tried Nero UDF/ISO file type, but it said the file size was too large for ISO. I'm looking for other ways to convert UDF to ISO...

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

@ robtwilk

could you explain abit more what you need and what you have?

shrink can read an iso of a dvd structure! and dvd files!

6. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I have a DVR on my PC. It records TV programs with a .DVR-MS extension (Microsoft Recorded TV Show). I tried to burn it with Nero, which would only let me create a UDF file - since it was too large to fit on one disc. I then used Decrypter to burn an ISO image of the UDF file.

I tried to use Shrink to open the ISO image, but Shrink gives me an error when using Open Disc - "failed to find Video_TS.IFO".

Not sure what to do next...

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

changing udf to an iso, wont change anything its like putting a coat on but its still yuo inside...

been reading on google and alot say DVDSanta is the app to convert it, i think it outputs as mpeg or mpeg2 ? you will have to check...

if not sure how to convert the mpeg just drop a line here...

good luck

hi you may want to try tmpgenc PLUS this app converts all sorts???

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  8. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

DVDSanta worked well enough to get the recording onto a DVD that played in my player. I can fast forward only at 2x though - if I go faster, the disc will freeze. When I rewind, I can go 2x, 3x, 4x with no problems. Kind of weird, but at least it works. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

I read some info at the tmpgenc PLUS web site, but have not tried their software yet.

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

kool

did dvdsanta output as mpeg2? or vob/ifo/bup?

yes odd about FF and RW speeds???

10. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I assume it created vob/ifo/bup files, since it creates a VIDEO_TS folder. I would not pay $29.95 for the full version (only the demo is free and it creates a demo banner across the screen during the entire movie). Upgrades cost $14.99 unless it's just a dot release. The video quality seemed poor compared to all my other programs. It appears to do a lot of stuff, so I guess it might be a useful tool for those applications.

Anyway I figured out how to use "Click to DVD" outside of the Media Center application. While doing this I discovered that the mpeg files for some of my recorded TV shows were corrupted. By selecting "repair video" and "repair audio" during conversion, these files were fixed and I was able to use "Click to DVD" to make perfect DVDs of each show.

This takes almost two hours for a two hour show, but at least I can get them onto DVD. When I don't have to use the repair function, the time is usually under an hour.

I have two TiVo PVRs which I couldn't live without, but the PVR on my computer makes DVDs that are so much better quality than my TiVo units.