1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please! AVI convert to DVD using Nero 6

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by 1970paul, Apr 12, 2007.

1. 1970paul

1970paul Member

Hi there, I hope someone can give some advice.

I have tried numerous times to convert AVI files to DVD using Nero Vision Express 3 on the Nero 6 Suite. I go through all the stages easily and start to recode/transcode the AVI files. As this takes some time usually, I leave it running. Every time I check it's progress after some time, I find that the transcoding process has stopped (if i have a preview running, it has frozen), and the progress meter has stopped, just like the program has crashed, but the odd thing is the lapsed time counter is till counting down and I am able to abort the process without it crashing and the program shuts down. So it seems that the program hasn't crashed at all, so why does my transcoding process stop / freeze every time. I must have tried this 20+ times now with different movie AVI files and always get the same result. I have never had one finish converting to DVD yet.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

2. touran22

touran22 Regular member

ok paul if u want to convert to dvd and then burn to a dvd-r or what ever then just download ConvertXtoDVD and convert your .avi xvid etc to dvd foramt.

Once its finshed converting u will get two folder... Video_Ts and Audio_Ts (the auido_ts will be a black folder so forget about it)

Now download imgburn and go into mode>Build and then navigate to your video ts folder and choose it. the set your destination path. hit build and let it create the iso.

once its done keep imgburn open and go into Mode>write and choose your iso that u just made and hit burn and voila a dvd that plays on ALL dvd players!!!!

This is my method and ive done so for ALL my films. nero is just too long in my opionion.

Also u might wanna upgrade to vision express 4! and nero 7

3. 1970paul

1970paul Member

Thanks for your reply touran22.

I will give those other 2 software a go.
    Are you saying that Nero does struggle with converting AVI then?
    A 700MB AVI file converts to a 4 to 5+GB DVD file after transcoding which would normally have to go onto a DVD9 disc. Can i compress this to a DVD5 using Imgburn and also define the High Quality settings.

Thanks again

4. touran22

touran22 Regular member

On nero you can set it to convert to fit onto a DVD5 (bottom right hand corner on vision express). When it transcodes it transocdes to a nero format i forgot the name, Then it burns it. i dont like nero becuase the transcodeing engine in my oppionion is slow. thats why i switched to ConvertXtoDVD! its real fast and u just set it o high quality and it will create your video_ts folder which is the dvd format u need.

Then like i said downlaod imgburn and set it to Build and let it build your iso. Then when its done set it to write and choose the iso you just made and hit burn! Simple and easy and no problems what so ever.