1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Phxazgirl, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

I REALLY need help and I don't know if I'm in the right area, if not please forgive me as I'm new here. I have a problem. For a couple of months now I've been without sound on my computer and I'm going CRAZY! I've spent several hours on here several times trying to restore it with no luck. My volume icon is no longer on my tool bar. When I tried to go and click the box the restore it to the tool bar it is greyed out and can not be clicked. I have tried several things that other ppl have when they had the same problem but have again been unsucessful. I have a compaq. I have tried going on their site to maybe see if there was a sound driver I could download but couldn't really find one. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it! I am currently unemployed so I do not have the funds to go buy another tower or a sound card. I can't even reinstall my windows because my ex has the windows CD and never returned it to me. Please help if you can!!

Thank you very much ahead of time!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Mmm sounds like a hardware problem , could be software !! How about you post a bit more details like what Windows you have (95',98',Me,XP) also what sound card you using .
    The things you tried -- what are they ?

Did you look in DEVICe Manager to see if your Sound Card is listed there ! Did you try to uninstall it there and then reboot ? (cause you said the thing is greyed out)

Did you look in the back if the wires from your speakers were still connected to the Card and if the cat didnt chew on them ?

Am sure if you can give a bit more details , you gonna get people in here to help ~~smiles.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2004
  3. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

Thank you for replying. I have Win 98. In the Device Manager there's a plug and play and a couple of other things. I had seen a thread on something similar to this where they said to log on under safe mode and delete some things and then restart the computer. I did that and it didn't work. I don't have the speaker icon as I said before. I bought this computer with so much on it, I had to add the things like windows and such but as I said my ex has my windows CD so I can't uninstall and reinstall that. If the cat chewed the wires I have to figure out how it got in here because I don't have a cat, lol. No animals except b/f ;) I checked the speaker connection inside and it's all connected. How do I know which sound card I'm using? I only know so much about computers, I'm sorry :( Please let me know of anymore details that can be helpful to you. Thank you again for replying, I appreciate it!

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Ok --
    Looks like you know how to get in Device Manager **grinzzzzzzz !! so go there and click on the little + sign where you see SOUND or something close to that -- it will open up and you should see a list of things.

If you see a sound card , it will be in that list --- Creative Labs is a card that is use by many -- !If you see anything with a question mark (?) or close to a card sounding name , let me know .

5. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

Ok-
    When I looked at the Device manager it says:
    Sound, Video and Game Controllers
    ES1869 Control Interface (WDM)
    ES1869 Plug And Play AudioDrive (WDM)
    (!) Unknown Device and that (!) is in yellow
    Wave Device For Voice Modem

I hope this helps some.....
    Can't wait to hear from you again.

Thanks Bunches ;)

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That yellow thing is your sound card not being recognize !

Right click that and select UNINSTALL -- then reboot your PC -- it may ask for a driver --- be careful and choose to let window go look on the web for it !

7. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

Ok, I will try that and let you know how it comes out.

Thanks!

8. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

Well, I didn't have any luck :( Everything was going fine, it was going to install a driver until it told me to insert the Windows 98 disk and CD! I think I'm just screwed! If you know of anything else please let me know.

Thanks.

9. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en download this and there is infomation what your computer have insade. And if this does not help you have to open your computer and look what your sound card is and then download drivers from internet.When you get your sound card name and number write it to google and i think you get the drivers.(sorry my english)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@lauritx --

Wont do her any good cause her computer does not recognize she has a sound card in !

What's left is like you said -- look inside the computer and see if she can find a model number at least for that sound card she has -- then get the drivers for it on the web.

@Phxazgirl

You may not have to remove that card -- if you can open the left side of your Tower and shine a flashlight on the card where the speakers are connected to -- you may see a name and a model number printed on the circuit boad -- components side ! It may be ackward to read it -- but it can be your only way out.

Good Luck --

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  11. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

Yes right but this ES 1869 is sound card. I think she should coogle this and download this driver.

12. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  13. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

I dont know what has happened but anymore when that box pops up and you click either "open" or "save" either one that I do, it doesn't work. When I click either one it acts like it's going to do something and then that same box pops back up agian. :( I need a new computer! :(

I really appreciate all the effort you guys are putting forth to help me! You don't know how much it means to me.

Thanks

14. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

One thing what you can do is try to update your explorer in windows update.

15. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

So, just do like a Windows update?

16. Phxazgirl

Phxazgirl Member

There were 6 updates which I'm doing now. I did do this before and I think I also needed the Windows CD for one of them to finish. I wrote my ex and asked him to mail me my Windows CD, haven't heard from him though. Is there any other way to get a Windows CD other than buying it? Thanks in advance

17. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

Maybe some your friend have this cd and you can finish your update. But this have to be same win98. There is also win98se. For this explorer update you dont need this cd. Have you tried loud something else and have this same problem. Maybe this link was broken. Try agein. And if there comes lot problems in win98 this should load agein.(all system and you get like new machine) I do it three times in year.