1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by rnguyen, Nov 28, 2004.

1. rnguyen

rnguyen Member

Hey everyone, I've been reading up on all the posts for the power calibration errors that nero 6 has and I can't find a good fix to it. I've tried a different power source for the drive, updating my firmware, uninstalling and reinstalling Nero 6.3.0.3, and I know it's not bad media because TDK discs have never given me a problem. I just recently reformatted my computer and prior to this, it worked just fine. I've burned hundreds od CDs and DVDs successfully, but now it won't work. Is my drive dying? I have a TDK 880N.

I'm thinking of trying the VCD lens cleaner, but if the drive reads CDs and DVDs perfectly, will it even make a difference if I clean it? The burning stops at around 5% each time. Please comment. Anything would be helpful. Thanks guys!

2. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

I am a fervent user of TDK. Their new 1x-8x DVD-R have given me nothing but grief. Unfortunately the last spindle of 25 I bought turned out 20 coasters all power calibration errors, all around the 5% mark. TDK reported back there are some bad batches and some drives (older drives) are just not compatible with them. TDK are sending me a new spindle. This is the first 1x-8x TDK's I've used the 1x-4x gave me 176 perfect backups no coasters. Try a good disc such as Verbatim and see if it still happens. By the way Lens Cleaners are only good at pushing crap from one side of the lens to the other.

3. rnguyen

rnguyen Member

So you're saying that it's the media right? Not the burner? Right now burning CDs is giving me problems, not DVDs. I always thought TDK had good media though. I tried burning a CD with the TDK drive and it had the same power calibration error, then I used the same CD on my old Yamaha CD burner drive and it burned perfectly without a problem. Weird?

4. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

They do and always have. Their standards are very high. Now more so than ever though, their outsourcing to new manufacturers. This means there is more chance of their media not being compatible with your drive. Use Nero infotool to see what the media ID code is. Then check with your drive manufacturer to see if its compatible. Dont forget to email TDK on your situation, they are more than happy to help/exchange/refund. Just on a side note, you say your burner still burns DVD's OK? If so your burner sounds fine. Power Calibration errors are 99% of the time due to media.