1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Problem with Sony DRU-710A DVDRW Drive!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by doc4eva11, Jan 30, 2005.

1. doc4eva11

doc4eva11 Member

Ok so the default setting on this thing is to always pop out whenever a disc is finished. Well, I sat down to get at my computer and the tray was out and I hit it as I slide on the floor!

The tray was crooked and wouldn't go back in, If I had to guess I'd say a 25*-30* angle towards the left of the drive. Well I tore it out of my PC right away and was able to get the tray back into the drive. Problem is there was busted latch on the right hand side that I suppose stopped the tray at a certain point when it pops open. Well with that being broken the tray comes out fine on the left side but the right side overextends a tad.

Now all it does is whenever I have it hooked up to the PC it just opens/closes, opens/closes, opens/closes and so on and so on. I can still open/close it with the push button but I cannot stop it from doing it on its own which is about every 2-3 seconds.

I purchased the drive from newegg.com back in October. I also purchased Neweggs extended warranty but I looked on the site and it doesn't really tell me what all it covers. I tried calling newegg but they arent in until tomorrow AM and I was reading through Sony's warranty info and it said that they don't cover 'accidents'.

Can anyone help me? This really sucks!

2. doc4eva11

doc4eva11 Member

I guess what I forgot to mention is what I'm asking.

Will Sony fix this? Even for a price? What about newegg? I don't want to do it myself unless I absolutely have to.

3. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

doc: How did you bust the drive again? It sounds like you need a new device installed or at least uncable it, pull it and try to repair it yourself. I doubt very seriously that a warranty will cover it. Sorry. Maybe someone else has some advice for you. I do have to admit that is the first time I heard of that; ie; slipping on the floor and hitting it; hope you didn't get hurt!!! Good luck. Let us know.

4. doc4eva11

doc4eva11 Member

actually, awesome news. after spending almost 2 hours on the phone with newegg and sony...sony will take it back! the only thing that was wrong with the drive is a catch on the back of the tray on the right side that would stop the tray at a certain point was broken off. the left side catch was fine. anyway i talked to sony and they said to send it back and theyll ship a brand new one out within 24 hours after receiving mine! so i sent out yesterday hopefully have it early next week. im pumped that sony would do that, because of their 'accident' policy.

5. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

That, is AWESOME NEWS! Congratulations; soon you will have a new edition (or addition) to your Computer Family.