1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Restoring iPod Classic Without Losing Data

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by hovdesven, Oct 21, 2008.

1. hovdesven

hovdesven Member

My sister came to me for help copying songs off of her friends iPod onto her computer. I know how to do that, and I started copying them, but it encountered an error, and now the iPod does not see any songs on it. The songs are all still there but the iPod sees them as data, not as music. I know that I can back up the files and restore the iPod and put them back on the iPod, but then all of the playlists would be erased. What I want to know is; is there a way to make the iPod recognize the files as songs, and not have to restore it and lose all of the playlists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I am not close to an expert on this but I have a big mouth. Maybe you don't know as much about file copying as you think you do. I am a long time ipod user but I haven't used itune in many years. I only live itunes vicariously though others problems.

You are real lucky do didn't lose your music. Copy the music off you ipod if you can. You can alway use file explorer if your computer can 'see' your ipod. Don't do anything before you do this.

Your database is corupt. That should not happen if you were only copying files. Your ipod was probably attacked by itunes. You were caught doing a no-no. Now you have been punished. Most likely you will need to reset your ipod. I suspect your software on your ipod is old. New software would have killed your ipod outright. You wouldn't be able to get anything off it. Once you reset it it will have the more leathal version.

I use Media Monkey. It allows you to sync playlists as well as tunes. It is also not cyper police in a box. It is way more powerful than itune. However, because you have so many choices, many itunes folk just can't handle it. One other huge draw back to long time itunes users is it does not play apple format. This is only viable if most of your music is mp3s. You can't use a third party software while itunes live on your comuter. I believe it will kill your ipod anytime it is accessed by anyother app.

PS If you have trouble getting you music off post here.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  3. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

theres a free program call idump for copying the songs of your ipod back into your pc or any other pc, if the songs are still on the ipod this program will allow you to copy them out, once you have copy them all back to the pc, you can restore the ipod and then copy the songs, back. just google cnet idump, first choice is the download page. try it. Good Luck.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

irongiant, that will only work it your computer can recognise it, right! itunes as prefected locking the user out. That is what they have been working on for the last two years. Not improvements for the user. The new itunes uses a propriatary link between the ipod and the computer. Once itunes locks your ipod only itunes can unlock it.

I am guessing the ipod is not locked. There are plenty of apps that can copy files including Windows File Explorer.

You are probably safer using file explored to copy files than an app. It is not smart enough to alter anything. I bet the problem all started with one of those apps. Itunes will not let you copy from an ipod to a computer so an app had to be used.

I use a third party software to sync my ipod sync and itunes knows if the ipod had been altered by something else. It will blow away your ipod right then. It pops up a message saying your ipod seems to be corupted after corupting it. They figure you will blame the sync program since itunes makes the attack with the speed of a viper. However, I have never seen a coruption once itunes was removed from the computer. That was 3 years ago. I have had smooth sailing once itunes was removed from my computer.

5. JJdon39

JJdon39 Member

Well, you need to use a third party program to copy music from an iPod to iTunes. If there was an error when transferring the music, it might be that some of the music files are corrupted. There is a tool called "Doctor" that you can use to check your ipod for errors. After that, you can make a new backup to itunes with this app and it will import everything you have on it. Even your Playlists ;)

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Well there may be a repair software that resets the kill flag if your computer can access the ipod. New ipod software requires propriatary link software that will not run if the kill switch is shut off. After most itunes attackes on ipod the compuuter can''t recognise the ipod.

JJdon39, how do you fix the ipod if the computer will not recognize the software? Your advice, using thirdparty software was the start of the problem. If the user had just used file explorer to copy the files to the computer, the ipod would not have been touched and there would not be a problem. It is a simple matter to import the music and even playlists once they are on the computer. That is the 100% safe method in my book. I am not sure the tird party software advertises what it does.

Any other method could result like hovdesven's sister's ipod.

I would only try third pary software transfer if the ipod was already backed up. If it gets attacked you can easily fix it. The problem is itunes is constantly improving their attack procedures and detecting 'violations'.

My advince is don't use stupid itunes at all. It is a peice of junk.