1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help setting up 4 routers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jerecho, Oct 5, 2014.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I am trying to set up 4 routers on my home network. The first router in the line will be a D-link wifi router. I will be giving this router an ip address of 192.168.1.1 and this router will be in charge of giving out all DHCP ip address to all my devices. Here is where I'm running into trouble. I'm unsure what ip address to give all the other routers down the line. The second and third routers are Trendnet wired routers. Can I give the first one an ip address of 192.168.2.1 and the third router an address of 192.168.3.1? Then my final router that I want to install is a Belkin wifi router that I want to put at the other end of my house to help extend my wifi signal. Can I give this router an address of 192.68.4.1? I know I have to turn off DHCP on all the routers except for the first one. I'm just not sure on assigning local addresses for the other 3 routers.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you daisey chaining them?

3. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

4. ddp

let them auto assign their own addresses? that is what i did when i had 2 routers plus modem in my network.

5. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I'll try that. On another note, I can't log into the 2nd wifi router with a LAN connection, only wifi. If I hook straight from laptop to router and type in the default address 192.168.2.1, nothing happens. If I connect to it on a wifi connection and then type in 193.168.2.1 the settings page comes right up. Any idea why it won't work with a Ethernet connection? I'm plugged into the lan port and not the wan port

6. ddp

shutdown all routers, computers & modem. turn on each device in sequence from modem to last router before turning on the computers.

7. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I'm not hooked up to the other routers. Just a straight cord from router to laptop with no internet connection. I'm only trying to get to the settings page of the router.

8. ddp

if still have the manual for that router then it should have the address to access the settings. can also go to d-link.com to get that address for that router to do the settings change.

9. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I've tried all that. This router is a Belkin not a D-link. The thing must be broken. I give up (lol)

10. ddp