1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ship sinking..... DVD SHRINK

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by captflint, Apr 27, 2005.

1. captflint

captflint Guest

There's a hole in my bucket dear DVD SHRINK,,,

I used dvd decryptor, (ac-dc live) and went to shrink it, something strange happened which caused me to kill 4 dvd+r's.

I have my settings (shrink) to custom 4330, and video is set to automatic, click on backup IS get: THE CURRENT DVD SIZE IS TOO BIG, IF YOU CONTINUE YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BURN THE RESULTING FILES...PLEASE ENSURE VIDEO SETTINGS IS SET TO 'AUTOMATIC' COMPRESSION OR TRY DISABLING SOME AUDIO STREAMS are you sure you want to continue?

In the bar above, its green to 4330, then red to 5385

Does anyone know whats going on?

2. drake1820

drake1820 Member

The green is how many Gig you are allowed to put onto your basic DVD R 5 disk, red is how much you have gone over what will fit on a DVD R. If you want the whole DVD backed up, you may need a DVD R 9. That should hold all the data. You could also split it up onto 2 disks using DVD Remake after you use DVD shrink to transcode it. As far as the warning goes, Shrink is just letting you know you have too much data to fit on 1 DVD R 5 disk. Not to worry. Just go ahead and hit ok and let shrink do it's thing. Then put it into Remake or whatever you are using to re-author the DVD and you will be fine.

3. captflint

captflint Guest

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll post my findings.....

4. captflint

captflint Guest

I've been using the same disks for all my backups.
    I am an avid ac/dc fan, would like to keep my dvd concert in great condition, I just dont understand why?

Is there too much audio??

My arguement is: My personal dvd collection is backed up, 1 disk to 1 disk, I really do not like the idea of having to place my AC/DC on 2 disks

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

5.3GB? WOW! Are there any special features you don't care about that you can get rid of or change to a still picture? What about foreign languages or subtitles (probably not because it's a concert)?

I copied some Led Zeppelin DVDs with Shrink and they came out looking like crap, I think it's because of the bright lights flashing everywhere.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You could run it through dvd shrink twice but you will loose quite a bit of quality. For dvd's that require a lot of compression my first choice is RB/CCE followed by Intervideo DVDCopy3. You can try the 21 day free fully functional trial of DVDCopy3. Here's the link.
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopy_Profile.jsp

Mort

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As Mort suggested, run it through DVD Shrink 2X BUT on the first pass, use all the settings - Deep anaylsis and Maximum Smoothness -

The second time through you won't need to run Anaylsis.

The end result is far, far better now than in days gone by. Prior to all the adjustments we did Shrink 2X and it came out a bit better than a VHS tape, it isn't great now but it is passable.

Query:

What size is the original disc ?

Pete

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  8. captflint

captflint Guest

Original disk is 8 something gigs.

and its must be at lest 2 years old

9. captflint

captflint Guest

No luck - anyone else having the same problems???

Is this going to happen to any other disks I purchase??

Planning on purchasing Excorcist - the beginning, and Lemmony Snicket

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

No problem with Exorcist the bebinning. Try playing your ripped vidio folder on your pc with WinDVD6 to make sure it isn't corrupt. Did you try both options I suggested previously? What is the brand and media code of your blank discs? Has you hdd been defraged lately? how much free space on hdd?

11. captflint

captflint Guest

- Tried both suggestions previously.

- Memorex dvd + r

- 18 gigs free

- Clean HD, always take care of the computer

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Memorex media is probably the problem. Do a search for memorex and look at all the bad reviews and problems. Try some good media.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Read this . .

When attempting to achieve the best burn, consider reducing that burn speed to the 4X level. Iffin you have a new 16X, DL burner, you'll probably do well at 6X. It is my feeling that 8X and over leads to occasional coasters, even when using top grade stuff such as Verbatim DataLife Plus media.

The second part of the solution is to always use a decent grade media. I suggest something like those discs made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Mitsubishi or RICOH. Unfortunately, they are also the discs most plagued by pirate Mfgrs. and for that reason I like dealing with Mertline, Supermediastore OR Newegg who have a great return policy on their products. I have had great luck with RiData and Verbatim DataLife Plus discs and their prices are extremely reasonable.[/b] As a passing note, when buying Verbatim's, they come with a lifetime warrantee. Return them with your sales slip OR register receipt and a new one will be shipped to replace it.

For the best online media stores to shop, try -

Mertline.com
    http://meritline.com/

Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-344&depa=0

And,

Supermediastore.com
    http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html

Shopping around can prove worthwhile - Staples, as of this date, offered HP+R DVD's (LQQked them up in MediaMatch and they are made by Mitsubishi) for $18.00 per 50. Verbatim's were on sale $10.00 rebate for a pack of 25, $20.00 (USD) for a pack of 50 AND Taiyo Yuden where on sale with their –R, 4X DVD's for $.27 each (USD) in packs of 100- a fortnight past – Think of it, TY's for $27 ea. There are sales all the time for the "GREAT" stuff – So you sea, quality isn't always expensive ~

Something to watch out for, ~>
    In today's market, now more than any other time, beware of pirated fakes.
    See articles at the bottom of my post ~

DVD Video media;

Memorex is an excellent example as DVD media goes. 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which, “Pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Phillips, Sony, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

I hope that helps,

Pete

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

BTW,

It's funny how things work . . .

Yesterday I did The Exorcist, The Beginning using AnyDVD and Recode2 and it went off without a hitch -

And to boot, a friend bought me a 25-pack of Memorex and so far I have gotten 4 good burns out of 16 discs Sooo, I say yet again flr the 2,000th time DO NOT USE MEMOREX, THEY SUCKTH !

Pete

15. captflint

captflint Guest

No joke there my firend......

My dvd+r's are only 2MB TOO SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS the problem

ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

captflint,

Since you have tried the other suggestions we provided above with no success, the only other alternative I can suggest is dvd decrypter followed by RB/CCE. I have used these several times to backup complete dvd9's to a dvd5 without any noticeable quality loss.

Mort

17. captflint

captflint Guest

I'm not really interested in 'quality'

I just want to exercise my right to backup, but also the want to backup on any dvd type, instead of finding the only the greatest makers of dvd+r's are the only ones to use.
    I should be able to back on ANY dvd media....and have 1 to 1 instead of 1 to 2 disks, or even coasters.

maybee there should be a forum topic that lets the BUYER BEWARE section if the forums

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I have a dream too. I wish all people could live as brothers with love and respect for each other.

As for the real world - DVD discs aren't the same as all cars are not the same. If you are using Dual-layered discs then I believe you can have your wishes come true BUT if you want to take a commercial, Dual-layered disc and copy it to a single layered disc then you have to learn the facts of life. Certain discs will do it well while others won't do at all. You are asking for an orange to be an apple all the time and wishing won't make it happen.

As I said, use a DL disc, just like the ones you're copying from and you'll be all set. So far, only Memorex Dual-layered discs are getting bad reports.

Best of luck -

Pete

19. captflint

captflint Guest

OK, OK, OK,

I get it dude... chill
    Take it easy... Rock and Roll

I'll get different ones.......NP

hahahahaha

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Glad you have a sense of humor - Lol

You'll do fine :)

Here's a start ~>

Eliminating errors and going for the "Best burn" ~ Tips ~

When attempting to achieve the best burn, consider reducing that burn speed to the 4X level. Iffin you have a new 16X, DL burner, you'll probably do well at 6X. It is my feeling that 8X and over leads to occasional coasters, even when using top grade stuff such as Taiyo Yuden's OR Verbatim DataLife Plus media.

The second part of the solution is to always use a decent grade media. I suggest something like those discs made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Mitsubishi or RICOH. Unfortunately, they are also the discs most plagued by pirate Mfgrs. and for that reason I like dealing with Mertline, Supermediastore OR Newegg who have a great return policy on their products. I have had great luck with RiData and Verbatim DataLife Plus discs and their prices are extremely reasonable.[/b] As a passing note, when buying Verbatim's, they come with a lifetime warrantee. Return them with your sales slip OR register receipt and a new one will be shipped to replace it.

For the best online media stores to shop, try -

Mertline.com
    http://meritline.com/

Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-344&depa=0

And,

Supermediastore.com
    http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html

Shopping around can prove worthwhile - Staples, as of this date, offered HP+R DVD's (I LQQked them up in MediaMatch and they are made by Mitsubishi) for $18.00 per 50. Verbatim's were on sale $10.00 rebate for a pack of 25, $20.00 (USD) for a pack of 50 AND Taiyo Yuden where on sale with their -R, 4X DVD's for $.27 each (USD) in packs of 100, a fortnight past - Think of it, TY's for $27 ea. There are sales all the time for the "GREAT" stuff - So you sea, quality isn't always expensive ~

Something to watch out for, ~>
    In today's market, now more than any other time, beware of pirated fakes.
    See articles at the bottom of my post ~

DVD Video media;

Memorex is an excellent example as DVD media goes. 90% of Memorex discs are made by CMC and is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned. Figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception - they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - " Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren't all that suitable as a DVD backup media - that's why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you'll get a "Cyclic Redundancy error" (CRC error) or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(
    Another problem which, "Pops up" is a "*Power Calibration Error". This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, "Yep, you guessed it", inexpensive media. *A "Power Calibration Error" can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn't usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex, plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spreadsheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Phillips, Sony, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO," - BUT, it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc. While they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .36 (USD) a disc -

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT, the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them – what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

As an insurance step, you might wish to check your backups as they are burned ~

Checking your DVD Backup work,

If you can't be bothered to check your DVD's upon burn completion visually, then you may wish to try using DVD Decrypter (est. time, 10-15 min/ per disc) OR use CD Checker (est. time 10-11 min/ per disc). Trust me, . . . there is nothing worse in the world, (well, . . yes, there are plenty of things worse) than finding out that for some reason or another, the backup you made don't play. ("Yeeech !")

DVD Decrypter (FREE):

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

CD Check (FREE):

http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

I check each and every disc I make. Once, at the beginning of the disc, to be sure it's starting correctly, 2X during the movie for a second or two to be sure it's playing well and once, at the ending credits to see them scroll. If there is a problem usually anything AFTER the problem won't work. If the credits work, you can be pretty sure the rest is all right. (est. time, 45 sec./per disc).

It took me so long to type the above, ~ I could have checked 1/2 a dozen discs and had time for a cup of coffee and a 7-course dinner in that amount of time . . . . Well, maybe I wouldn't have had time enough for the salad BUT it did take a while . . . :)

Cheers,

Pete

Additional reading:

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality.
    Fake Taiyo Yuden media, and the current quality of RITEK products is discussed here.
    http://www.cd-rw.org/articles/archive/dvd-r_media_report.cfm

The DVD recordable media market: What's up with RITEK?
    RiDisc promises to start delivering premium quality. They use strong words in describing their new RiDisc Xtreme products - "Grade AAA+ RITEK G05" and "zero tolerance quality control".
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/ritek_dvd-r_quality.cfm

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6090.cfm