1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Sims 2

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by roguephoe, Jan 26, 2005.

1. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

i'm new here. happened upon this site by accident. i was wondering if anyone can help me with backing up sims 2. i'm trying to use clonecd, but doesn't seem to work. there's something on the original disc that isn't getting transfered over to the copy. is there anyway to fully copy the disc 1 using clonecd? if not, what should i use? hopefully some software that's free. thanks.

2. Themea

Themea Member

Sure Is.

Did it all today.

DownloadCloneCD version 5.1.0.0 (Newest from slysofts site.

insert disc 1 and click 'copy game' choose sumwhere to save image file, i'd reccomend my documents sumwhere incase it doesnt work u dont need to read it again.

Rip it as "Copy Controlled PC Game"

after it sez to insert destination disc put in ur blank cd-r, choose a good brand, i used TDK's newest.

Choose Copy Controlled PC Game Again then burn on 1x!!!

It should take 20 minutes but it works.

After its done ul get a weird message when u try boot the game up. It will say emulation software detected. So in the toolbar tray thing right click the clonecd icon and choose "Hide CDR Media"

Also if you hav Alcohol 120 installed theres more stuff u hav to disable. Let me know if u run into that.

Good luck

3. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

everytime i try to rip as "copy protected pc game" it reads so slow that it takes 20 minutes to read 1% of the disc. at that rate, it'll take more than a day to just read the cd. what am i doing wrong?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Sims 2 is protected by SafeDisc so it's normal to get all those errors at the start of the disc. Just let CloneCD do its thing and the errors will stop after a bit.

5. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

so it's normal that after nearly 2 hours it has only completed 2% of the scan? how long do i have to wait for the the ripping to finish? what setting should the i put it as because if i leave them as is, the scanning never finishes. the only ripping method that seems to not take days is the "copy game disc". what am i doing wrong here?

6. Themea

Themea Member

Its most probably your cd-writer/reader drives.

A few years back the same happened when i tried to copy age of empires 2.

I just got this computer and it came with a new samsung burner. Mine only took 90 seconds to read and 20 mins to write at 1x.

Do u have any friends with new burners?

7. Nephilim

What make/model burner are we dealing with?

8. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

i don't know exactly. i have the emachines t5026. all it says is:

DVD+/-RW, 16x Multi-Format double layer
    CD-ROM drive - 48x max write

besides that i don't know more. it's the latest model so shouldn't it be fine? i tried ripping from either one and the results are the same.

9. Nephilim

Have you tried Alcohol 120% with Fast Error Skip enabled? It's possible your drive doesn't support fast error skip which is why it's taking so long.

Alcohol 120% is going to be your best bet anyhow since it's highly unlikely that your burner is EFM capable so you'll need the emulation options that A120 offers in order to get your copies to work.

10. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

actually it does support fast error skip. i just turned it off because i thought that's what was causing it to write wrong. i thought since it skipped "error" areas, then it's not really complete which is why it didn't work properly. so fast error skip is a good thing? i'll try it.

11. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

made no difference.

12. mykle

mykle Member

did not work for me either

13. Themea

Themea Member

Hmmm... theres nothing i can really say, i did exactly wat u did and it worked fine. I didnt hav to change any settings on clonecd. So its just having trouble reading it right?

Where you at rogue? (Locale)

14. Nephilim

So it made no difference for A120, CloneCD or both?

15. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

alcohol made no difference. actually i was told that this may cause me problems so i took it out. my copy is almost working. at least it is recognized by the program as disc one. it's just that after it executes the game, it quits saying some error occured. before it wouldn't even recognize it as the first disc.

can anyone tell me their settings for the "protected pc game" option? i've changed it so much that i don't remember what the original settings were. maybe that's my problem. i would appreciate it. thanks.

16. Themea

Themea Member

I didnt change any settings. Do u still hav the installation file for clonecd? So i take it youve managed to rip it now? just need to get a working burnt copy? just 1 speed is only setting i changed.

17. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

i know you didn't change any setting which is why i need to know what setting you have because those are the original settings. i've changed my settings so much that i don't remember the original settings. i just want to set them back the way they were short of uninstalling and reinstalling everything. i've already made 4 copies using the different rips of "protected pc game", and none of them work. they all suffer from the same problem.

18. Themea

Themea Member

Well i still dont understand wat settings uve changed. I cant even choose settings when i burn.
    In the right box where it sez wat ur drive can do are they all yes's?

Should say

Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: Yes

19. Nephilim

Before you get too far you may want to find out the exact make/model of drive you have. The reason being is that the settings and options needed for the apps are dependant on whether your burner is EFM capable or not. Alcohol 120% should list that information in the drive dropdown when you start the copy process and select the drive you want.

20. roguephoe

roguephoe Member

right click on the "copy protected pc game" icon and you'll notice one of the items on the menu that pops up is "edit". when you choose this, you'll see all the different options that are checked/uncheck, etc.

as far as alcohol, i have since removed it from my drive since i was told this is something that would interfere with the program running off the cd properly.