1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! speakers clip(?) at high vol

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by GlassEyes, Feb 10, 2005.

1. GlassEyes

GlassEyes Member

I'm finding it hard to accept how easy it seems to be to 'clip' my speakers. I have 2 x sets of creative inspire 6.1 6700 speakers plugged into an audigy 2 card. (Using jack splitters!) a bit handmade i guess, but when the volume is even slightly loud, the sound cuts out intermittedly. I'm not a make-your-ears-bleed death metal chap, and I expected 2 sets of these speakers to do the trick. The satellite cones aren't even visibly moving (of course the subs are) so I'm wondering if it's something to do with reaching the audigy's maximum power output or something?
    Thankyou very much, Luke

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

try having just one set of speakers connected. you are probably straining your audigy2 by having 2 sets of speakers connected. normal output is 8 ohms, but using 2 sets of speakers lowers it to 4 ohms, so if the card isn't meant to handle multiple speakers at 4 ohms, its not good for your card, and probably why its clipping.

3. GlassEyes

GlassEyes Member

mm.. i got the 2nd set of speakers hoping that i could have more power really. so i'd be quite sad to waste them. but if you think that's the only option then boogery i guessss..
    thanks chap!

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

no, it could be a number of different options, that one just seems to make the most sense to me. it wouldn't hurt just unplugging them and seeing. are you controlling the volume within windows, or with the speakers? If you are controlling it within windows, you could be providing too powerful of a signal to the amplifier in the speakers, and it could be clipping there. so try lowering the windows level, and turning up the volume on the speakers.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Your speakers are handling a square sine wave causing that clip you are hearing which in simple terms is, too much power for what they can handle. That clip as you call it will damage your speakers in the long run also. The problem should be what djscoop mentioned which is the lowering of resistance by adding the extra speakers, hence more power to them.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you will also cause damage to your sound card. you're basically drawing twice as much power from it than it was designed to output. so don't be suprised if your audigy stops working in a few months.

7. GlassEyes

GlassEyes Member

Bummer! They have been going for about a year now I think.. I was just surprised that that cutting out of the sound happened before I could even see the speaker cones move. With just the one set, it's not as powerful, and seems to do a similar thing at even less volume. Maybe I've just lost the concept of comfortable sound levels. (and the speakers cones are real steady)
    Thanks anyway everyone!