1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help system restore not working!!!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by DopeFreak, Mar 25, 2007.

1. DopeFreak

DopeFreak Regular member

ok heres the thing i scanned my whole cpu with 10 diff virus scanners got rid of win32 viruses in system restore and my cpu still wont restore to when i first installed it. it was march 1st. Whats the porblem here guys i nkow i dont got any viruses or spyware????? Help would be greatly appreciated thx in advance.

2. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

well my sugestions to back up all your important stuff to cd or dvd and run a fresh install of windows that way you know you are bug free, alot of viruses don't get removed that easy, best way to kill them is to format and start fresh. Good Luck.

3. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Yea id do a start fresh because some viruses can delete your restore points. (had it happen to me) Yea so put all your important stuff on discs, backup drives,etc and do a ful system restore. and go to windows website and look for a virus scanner they have. not sure what its called but its under tools and it works in safe mode really good. good luck.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Im not going to bother explaining but Windows System Restore option is a piece of junk. You will be much better of using Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. You will also need a backup harddrive of some sort.

Then again besides software solutions theres always the option of setting up a RAID array to mirror. One drive fails the other one keeps on going. You slap in another drive and the backup is rebuilt. The best part of this option is that you will always have a 100% up-to-date backup copy of your operating system, no worries about initiating backups or anything else software solutions require you to do.

6. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

Ummm Norton is a piece of junk, any IT person i have talked to hates it and so do i, Norton use to be a pretty good anti virus until about 5 yrs ago thats when started to screw up windows and thats when i moved to mcaafee, not the greates but surely better than norton, but everyone has their favorite, i wont recomended it thought.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I've been running NIS for 2 yrs and antivirus for many more. I have yet to get one virus that I know of in last 2 yrs. Have had a few blocked. The only issue I have with it is Systen Restore problem (which I can fix) and it's a resource hog. 2007 supposedly is better with resources.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@irongiant

Thats your opinion, and thats all fine and good but read what I posted more carefully...

I was referring to hard-drive backup software, not antivirus.

9. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

Peainapod i wasnt refering to your comment i was refering to garmoon's comments, i will suggest you read better, before drawing conclutions, u give your opinion i gave mine. didnt meant to offend anyone.

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@irongiant

Sorry about that. If your going to post a statement at 1 particular person I would suggest doing what I and many other people do. Put the "@" symbol and then the persons name your writing to. This eliminates any confusion there may be regarding your posts.

11. DopeFreak

DopeFreak Regular member

aight thx guys. Norton is gay i dont use it it slows the shit outt of my computer. I used 10 other virus scanners and spyware detectors and got rid of it all so my cpus faster now and i dont need to restore.

@irongiant - i just did a fresh install a month ago

12. 3lement

3lement Regular member

nice to hear it worked out. And since norton doesnt work so great i suggest you use trend micro. it works really good. havent had any problems with it.

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming your confident that the comp has no infections there are still the old restore points to deal with,in your position i'd turn restore off on all drives,restart and turn system restore back on this way any infected points are removed so you don't re-infect yourself and yes acronis or ghost is an excellant suggestion from a previous poster,and ghost is the most well known app for imaging as is the other utility they have partition magic,both of which they bought the rights too..lol..

14. dorfyaris

dorfyaris Member

I had the same problem once, now use Bitdefender & Acronis true image. Both are great.