1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help taking apart external HD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by NJman, Jul 16, 2007.

1. NJman

NJman Member

hey guys whats going on. Heres my problem. I just bought a western digital essential 320GB exteral HD. I have a bunch of HD's laying around my house a few 500GB and i wanted to just swap out the HD's in the external case. problem is i can't figure out how to take this one apart. im probably going to end up just buying a seperate external case but if anyone has any insight on how to take this WD apart i'd appreciate it. Theres no screws or latches that i can see and i dont want to just rip the think apart. thanks guys.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

external hard drives are separate animals entirely from internal drives and external enclosures made for them. you're not looking at some simple swap. just spend a bit of money and do it right.

4. NJman

NJman Member

thanks sammorris that helped. i was looking all over for a page with something on it. I have experience with comp repairs and such but for some reason this external case just got the best of me. thanks for all your help.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No worries. After being used to everything being pretty standard with PCs, when you try to take apart a 'standalone product' like a MyBook, sometimes we all get a bit confused!