1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! The framerate on all my games stinks!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by boogievan, Jul 17, 2003.

1. boogievan

boogievan Member

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my RAM from 128MB to 384MB and I cant get my games to play smoothly at all!

My system is this:

1.3P4
    384 MB PC 800 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce4 64MB

Before I installed the new ram I could play mafia, but it was still pretty choppy, now I cant even load the damn game. Rise of Nations is still extremely choppy. Nothing moves smoothly. I've tried reinstalling the games, nothing. I dont know what to do.

2. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

See, the bad thing about Windows is that you need enough space on your hard-drive for virtual memory even though you have enough physical memory. If you don't have enough hard-drive space on a Windows machine, it can really impact performance, especially boot up time and starting programs.

Update your drivers.

Also, keep in mind that it is only a Geforce 4 64 MB don't try to run at insane resolutions.

Always choose OpenGL over Direct3D. From my experience OpenGL has a faster framerate and handles better at higher resolutions. It also looks a hell lot better.

3. boogievan

boogievan Member

Thanks for the info.

I have 75% of my drive space free. Ill try the openGL though, thanks alot, if you have anymore ideas, please let me know.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

GeForce4 64MB... is that the GeForce4MX 64MB? If so... its not THAT powerful.

Also consider background apps and check that (a) the latest drivers are installed for everything, (b) harddrive DMA is on and (c) video acceleration is maxxed out

5. boogievan

boogievan Member

Thanks again.

Its actually a Geforce4 MX 440 64MB, its relatively new. I guess I wasnt clear enough, Mafia and Rise of Nations ran BETTER on my old setup of 128MB RAM and a Geforce2 32MB videocard. I figure its something Im doing wrong, but I really dont know.
    I run the games at 1028 X 768 X 32, its not that out of the ordinary is it?
    Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  6. Praetor

I would presume 1024x768x32 is decent for the GF4MX but just to make sure...
    1. Control Panel
    2. Display Properties
    3. Settings
    4. Advanced
    5. GeForce4 MX 440 (or whatever your card is)
    6. Performance and Quality Settings
    7. Tweak around with the settings and make sure Texture sharpening is OFF. That should help.

Adding more RAM wont slow down your computer -- at least not when you are tripleing your RAM count hehe_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  7. boogievan

boogievan Member

Praetor You are money.

I guess the settings got all mucked up or something. Its running BEEAUUTIFUlly now.

I owe you one.

Thanks guys you are the best.

8. Praetor

No problem... remember me when you win the lottery or something ;-)

9. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Hey i got the same card as you do boogievan! Ran ghost recon and splinter cell fine. Splinter Cell was a wee bit slow when I was running at 1024x768 with all graphics high, but that's just my processor. Pentium II 450. ^_^ And a word to Praetor: The GeForce 4 MX 440 SE is powerfull. It just that the speed is a little bit slower than the TI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2003
  10. Praetor

Errrm..... do you mean to compare the GF4MX to something like a GF4Ti4400?! I have both cards on damn near identical setups and I can gurantee you that the MX440 is NO MATCH for the Ti4400. It sits right in between the GF3Ti500 and the GF4Ti4400 (or the 4x Ti4200 but I never had that card so I can speculate)

11. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

Really? Hmmm. My friends got a Ti but he tried to run Splinter Cell and it was real slow. Slower than mine.

12. Praetor

Perhaps it was a GF3Ti? That would suck :( Also note that overall performance is not just about the vid.card theres plenty of other factors too!

13. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I know the other factors. Processor speed, memory, drivers, etc. But my friends got a Pentium 4 512MB with a Geforce 4 Ti.

But well if you say that Ti is alot faster then i will trust you.