1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help the old geezer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lemyou, Oct 29, 2004.

1. lemyou

lemyou Guest

Nothing fancy, no cute terminology---
    I’m just a 76 year-old geezer trying to learn how to do this stuff.
    Is it possible to transfer a downloaded movie to Desktop and from desktop to disc?
    I would like to view the darn thing on my large TV screen and from MY comfortable chair.
    Also, I have a movie on a DVD—I’d like to make a backup copy.

I have Nero, Xcopy platinum, a Sony DRXL700UL DVD+RW . and an RCA DVD player—the fancy one with its own little screen.
    I have DVD shrink, decrypter, --- and all those other recommended downloads.!
    My OS is XP. And my Machine is BIG--- like 2 gigs and lotsa ram---
    We thank anyone in advance for any help rendered.

2. lemyou

lemyou Guest

PS:
    Please keep in mind that---at 76 time is precious.
    If there is Hardware or Software I don’t have and need--- NO PROBLEM, I’ll get it
    I don’t want to leave a large estate!

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hello young man,
    Backing up a DVD you own is simple:
    DVDDecrypter to HD in 'File Mode'.
    DVDShrink to image on HD, ready for burning.
    Then burn DVD with Nero.
    First remove all the crap/extras/different languages from the project as required, to keep Shrink compression at 80% or so (numerically high, which is lower compression ie. less compression).
    Backing up a DVD to AVI is also straightforward.
    Creating a DVD from AVI, though, (to playback with standalone DVD on big TV in front of comfy chair) is your biggest challenge...
    There is lots of software, something like DVDSanta is designed to do this:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/dvdsanta.cfm
    But you will require MPEG2 (DVD) codec. This is not freeware!
    However, if you have Nero6, I recommend using it to author DVD from AVI file.
    You must pay them $24.99 to unlock their MPEG2 codec.
    I purchased it on the Web and they immediately sent a serial# to my EMail.
    This serial# unlocked the Nero DVD author right away :)
    The whole thing took five minutes. I was very pleased.
    Now I can convert AVI to DVD with ease.
    I thought this was better than buying TMPGEnc or Santa, but it was a crapshoot - unknown potential for $25 buck wastage, y'know?
    However let me assure you it was the best twentyfive I ever spent...
    So there you go.
    Let us know if you require further assistance with specific questions,
    Regards

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes you can go from desktop to disc or from folder on harddrive to disc as that is how i do it for copying data to cdr but i do not have a dvd burner yet i am thinking about it as i have about 54gigs of info on drive. the procedure is the same just different drives & software

5. lemyou

lemyou Guest

OGS,
    Thanxx for the prompt comeback---
    If I read you correctly: In addition to NERO6, which I already have--- it came with my SONY DVD R/RW reader/burner--- I need to purchase something called MPEG2 (DVD) codec, and this will cost $25, it will also be the answer to my wettest dreams! Sounds like a bargain to me, I will order it.
    Meanwhile I will play around with Decrypter and Shrink and learn what AVI means (I’m pretty sure A is for audio and D is video, but have no idea what the I stands for--- I will learn)
    Thanks again

6. lemyou

lemyou Guest

I just bought something called WIZARD PRO---
    Closest thing I could find to what was described as capable of converting to AVI...
    Cost me $40... Again, if it does the job it will be worth it!
    I am now trying to figure out if it will put the AVI conversion on my desktop!

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

AVI is Audio/Video Interleave.
    I too got Nero6 with my Sony DVD burner :)
    An AVI is MPEG4 format, typically DivX (or XviD) compression codec, which has nothing to do with DVDs (which are MPEG2).
    Don't know why you spent $40 on something to make AVIs; they are simple to make for free.
    I thought you wanted to author DVDs, which Nero is ready & willing to do - except the MPEG2 codec is locked until you purchase a serial# to unlock it.
    Remember: if you have an AVI and you wish to play it on your DVD player on your television, then you are not making AVIs. You are converting (or transcoding) AVI to DVD.
    In technical terms, it is converting (or transcoding) MPEG4 to MPEG2.
    It is very popular, although it is a thankless task, because people download AVIs and then want to watch them with their DVD player on their television.
    It is quite similar to downloading an audio MP3, and then converting it to WAV to burn an audio CD - the MP3 was originally made from WAV, just like the AVI was originally made from DVD.
    You're trying to get the original back again (kind of like powdered orange juice) but it will never be the same, some quality will have been lost.
    Should be drinkable though... LoL ;)
    Hope this helps,
    L8R
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  8. lemyou

lemyou Guest

lmao--- Great style--- (I made a pretty good living as a writer for many years.)
    Yeah,,, well--- If I coulda found who to send $25 to for the UNLOCK KEY I would have! Is there a site or address where I can purchase a Serial# ?
    Hey,,, I really do preciate the help---

9. michigan

michigan Guest

The Nero that camee with your Burner may not be the full version of Nero. If you are going to be doing DVD "stuff" Nero 6.6 reloaded (the newest update) is one of the if not THE best program suite out for this type of thing. If you don't have the full version get it from Nero's site here http://nero.com/us/nero-up.php spend more of that estate on that and you will be good :)

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

It is Nero 6 OEM Suite.
    It doesn't include the MPEG2 codec (which the full retail version does).
    When I open NeroVision Express 2 SE > Make DVD > DVD Video
    it says "Select this option to make a high quality DVD-Video that can be played back in most DVD players.
    The DVD-Video Plug-in has been detected and installed on your system.
    Your video files will be automatically converted during the burn process."
    Basically, if you attempt to do this without paying, it will bug you that the MPEG2 codec (the Plug-in) has to be purchased for $25 bucks.
    I figured it's a good deal because the Nero I saw in the store was $89 bucks or whatever...
    Hell, that's what my DVD burner cost!
    BTW the OEM suite will update to the latest v6.6 no problem at all.
    After many hundreds of posts I have concluded that at some point the MPEG2 codec must be purchased.
    We have all used TMPGEnc for 30 days, y'know?
    I thought I could beat it using freeware (DVD2SVCD + QuEnc) but it was too f*cked up, hard to use, didn't work.
    I figure if [bold]I[/bold] can't get it to work for free, what chance does Lemyou have? (no offense)
    So, simply try to make a DVD from your AVI and wait for Nero to ask you to purchase the 'Plug-in' for $25.
    It was quick, easy (no scam) & works great.
    After all, 30 days passes so quickly... LoL :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  11. michigan

michigan Guest

Buy the retail version of Nero and update it to 6.6 reloaded

12. lemyou

lemyou Guest

Eureka---
    I followed you destructions and ---SHAZAM.
    I did the Decrypt thing, started the Shrink process and then went to bed.
    When I got up to pee---a couple hours later---my machine was asking me to insert a blank disk.
    Went back to bed and when I got up this morning,,, VOILA, there it was. The whole movie!!!
    Happier than a dog with two bones. This is as much fun as exploiting DAVE used to be!!

Decrypt, Shrink and Nero RULES.