1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help this newbie with his new ilodvdr04 please!!!

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by JayDW, Dec 28, 2004.

1. JayDW

JayDW Member

Whats going on guys? I've learned quite alot from this forum in the last couple of days I have been on, and alot of you guys seems very knowledgeable, so I was wondering you can help me.

I received the ilo dvdr04 as a Christmas Gift. So far, Im liking it though I havent even scratched the surface on some of the features, but I'm sure I will play with those soon enough. I have it hooked up but my question is simply this.

I am using the tv Tuner function as I would like to record off of television. Now I have Satellite, so this is how I ran the wiring for it. Out of Satellite Receiver into Ilo, Out of Ilo into TV (as far as coaxs go.) For starters is this correct?

Secondly, if this is correct then I notice when I choose TV as the source for recording, I have maybe 3-4 vertical lines that are very faintly in the background and all my recording have those too. In other words, its not a very clean signal.

I was wondering if its just a bad coax, but I doubt it since when the ilo is not on the picture is perfect, though it is being "routed" so to say through the ilo and would assume if it was a bad cable then I would have this issue ALL the time, regardless of whether I was using the ilo or not.

I combed the forums to see if there was anything like this and I didnt see anything, so I apologize if I am asking a question that has already been answered. From what I've read the tuner is definetely on the cheap side, and so is the entire player for that matter. Also, I am not one of these people who thinks that this $150 machine should do everything perfectly, because well.....its $150. However, this player is not half as useful if my signal is the degraded from the original.

Thanks in advance for reading my long post and I look forward to your responses....thanks guys!!

JayDW

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

What is a ilo dvdr04? is it a dvd recorder?

3. klripper

klripper Member

First off the lines you are seeing in the picture and probably a buzz or hum in the audio is caused by the tuner noise in the Ilo tuner circuit. Not a lot can be done for this if you are going to use the internal tuner in the Ilo. I have checked and most users of this unit report the same thing. This can be rectified though. I have installed my Ilo and satelite feed this way.
    1.Satelite out to television through S-video to TV input-1
    2.Satelight out to VCR through component (RCA) jacks
    3.VCR component out to Ilo Source AV-2 (RCA jacks in the back of Ilo).
    4. Ilo composite out to televison composite input-2.
    In this way I use the much better quality TV tuner in my HiFi VCR,(the Ilo is a mono-audio tuner), to record broadcasts from television. This means that you have to have the VCR powered on and select it to whatever channel you use for satelite (Ch.3 or 4) and tune your satelite receiver to whatever channel you want to record. In my case I then switch my televison to input-2, (the Ilo), switch the source to AV-2 and then record with a much better signal from my VCR tuner. Of course you cannot record a different channel than you are watching on satelite. You also must watch VCR tapes through the Ilo in the same way and you can record these tapes as well.
    I hope this helps.