1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Quanatus, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Quanatus

Quanatus Member

Hey guys-

I need help, ASAP. I'm building a pc for someone, and I'm upgrading from 98 to xp.

I keep coming up with BSoD "unmountable boot volume", and the error message: Stop: 0x000000ED (0x866D3E30, 0xC000014f, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've managed to get windows 98 up, though not well. I reformatted the machine, and took out 1 gig, so the system is now running on 1 gig of ram, with an amd 64 x2 dual core processor, a 400 gig sata hd, and an nvidia 7600 series pci-16 card.

I've turned off shadowing and caching in the BIOS, after resetting all to defaults. I know it isn't the 40 vs 80 wire issue, because it's SATA. And when I restart in command prompt, it doesn't accept FIXBOOT as a command. I've run scandisk, but no errors were found.

I need help ASAP! I'm on aim as BroadswordMan, and would really appreciate any assistance! Thank you!

2. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

hey there buddy I'll bump this topic for you even though I have no idea how to do this myself

3. Quanatus

Quanatus Member

thanks. I think it might be a problem with windows xp recognizing the SATA drive. This is supposedly an issue.

I've found a file on the mobo disk that may hopefully do the trick. But I need to get it onto a 3.5 floppy for it to work. I'm going to have to gut an older machine and frankenstein this new one temporarily. I just hope I found the right files to update the BIOS.

Still, could definitely use any help... ANY AT ALL.

4. Quanatus

Quanatus Member

PS
    If I only have one SATA hd, do I want to install at the prompt for (third party raid or SKUZZY drivers) ...

... do I want SATA ide, or SATA raid?