1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Using ULEAD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by airnike37, Apr 27, 2005.

1. airnike37

airnike37 Member

Hello, I have been making strides in the capturing world but just recently hit a wall. For some reason ULEAD is not doing what I ask. For instance I have been capturing at "Good Quality" 720x480 4000KBps Variable and then from there I would like to encode it to the 352x480 one as I have heard this is better for longer videos?

I set it up like that then I choose for the audio to be MPEG 128 and when I hit OK to apply these changes I get an error message about a conflict with my "Treat MPEG Audio as Non-DVD Compliant" settings. I do not understand what is wrong.

Is there any possible way I can set ULEAD to capture at my OWN settings? Right now all that is available is Best, Good, Standard, Extra Long, SVCD Good, SVCD High and VCD. MPEG is a choice but when I click this and then go to capture I get an error messgae.

Please someone help?

Thanks
    Dave

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Ulead assumes that a totally compliant mpeg-2 DVD stream must be 720x480.
    If you try any other aspect ratio, it gives an error.
    You should be able to ignore the error, and have it capture at 352x480.
    Take a look at the "extra long" settings. THAT should be what you want anyhow, or you could choose SVCD high (not really DVD compliant, but will play on most players).
    Length of video has (almost) nothing to do with aspect ratio/frame size. Bitrate is what counts.
    That said, you can get better quality captures using a smaller aspect, at the same bitrate (more information in a smaller frame).
    The type of SOURCE of the video should determine the aspect and bitrate of the capture.
    Depending on what your capture device is, there are probably much better capture programs around, and plenty that are even free.

3. airnike37

airnike37 Member

I have posted here before and I have a Hauppauge PVR250.

I have tried VirtualDub (didnt work), tried Roxio (didnt work), tried capturing with Nero (didnt work). The only program I have been able to capture with is ULEAD.

Are there any FREE capturing programs that will work with this card? Please let me know, thanks.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

GB-PVR is probably the total solution for that card (I have 2 of them). It's free. Hit the forums if you have any problems. Start with the "Quickstart guide".
    www.gbpvr.com