1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help w/ a few burning questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Amadeus21, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Amadeus21

Amadeus21 Member

Im green to this so I'll say thank you in advance for info already on this board and for any help with my immediate questions.

I know burning rented dvd's is not supported by this community...Including myself. But I do have a unique situation. I rented Pirates of the Caribbean then lost the dvd. I then paid the replacement fee(OUCH!). I have now found the disc. My view is that I now OWN this dvd in which case I will back it up. Well Im having problems ripping it using DVD SHRINK. After reducing the size I try and back it up but I get an error ("Failed to read from file"....The reason is: Unknown).
    Is it possible that you cant rip the rental dvd's these days? Or is there something that Im overlooking.
    This is only the second dvd I have tried to rip/burn. I had success with my first which was X2 Xmen.

All help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    JC

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If you bought it, it belongs to you and you can back it up. Rentals don't have any special encryption on them so it should not be a problem.
    It sounds like Shrink was able to get it on to your hard drive. Did you put it in a VIDEO_TS folder? Sounds like part of the file structure is missing or corrupted. (now I gotta go look at a VIDEO_TS folder and see what they should have in em) I think the last time I had that problem, I went into win explorer and deleted everything and then tried it again. Shrink should want to empty the folder before it loads new files into it. Are you burning with Nero? If so, try using the Burning ROM in DVD-VIDEO mode.

Frank