1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help w/ TMPGEnc Aspect Ratio s / Video Arrange

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by diver90, Jan 1, 2003.

1. diver90

diver90 Guest

First off thanks in advance.

I am backing up DVD's and am looking for the best results encoding to MPG and burning VCD's.

What is the correlation between the aspect ratio / source arrange settings on the MPEG setting dialogs dialog? Specifically:

On the video tab: Aspect Ratio
    On the advanced tab: Source Aspect ratio
    On the advanced tab: Video arrange Method

I'm looking for the best settings after ripping widescreen DVD material and creating best quality playback either letter-boxed on a 4:3 NTSC set or full screen on a 16:9 NTSC set.

I've read some of the guides that are out there (including the articles here) and there is a lot of conflicting information.

Diver

2. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

I had the same problem you have had..trying to find the best method. I do not like to see the black bars, so i like to go to full screen(4:3). However, it depends on the movie if it converts well. You always should keep source aspect ratio set the same as the movie came in. If not, it distorts the picture. To convert some 16:9 movies to full screen, all you do is go to video arrange and select full screen, no margins (the last choice). It should convert it to full screen. However, i tried this on blackhawk down and it still had the black bars. The only way to get rid of it was to go to crop movie and make it 4:3 yourself (it cut too much out so I opted to keep it 16:9 amaphoric). However, i made this in vcd format and not svcd (which i usually make) and I read somewhere vcd format does not allow the conversion without cropping yourself.

3. diver90

diver90 Guest

So let's see if this makes sense. Based on my original post:

Video Tab: Aspect Ratio - Leave as is(default for VCD NTSC) (This one still bothers me. What is it the aspect ratio of?)

Advanced Tab:
    Source Aspect Ration should be 16:9 NTSC
    Video Arrange Method should be: Full Screen (keep aspect ratio)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2003
  4. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

yes, if you want to keep the movie at 16:9..look at all the choices of video arrange methods...you will see the last one say 'full screen, no margins (this is key because most of them say full screen then something else)..what is supposed to do is recognize that it's 16:9 and you want full screen for the std ntsc tv (4:3). It will then increase the height of the picture to eliminate the black bars. To do this and keep the aspect ratio (so the picture doesn't look distorted) it will cut off some from each side of the movie.

5. MillMan

MillMan Guest

Well, i'm happy to say I had the same issue, and am trying an encode w TMPGEnc and it looks much better..will know for sure in 12 hrs, 15 mins. sigh.

6. Soulja

Soulja Guest

is there a way to change the Video Arrange without re-encoding a .mpg cause i deleted my .avi. all i need to use is the arranger cause when i was encoding the video "Gone In 60 Seconds" the Black Boxes Had Disapearded and the Picture Changed in height and stretched it up. and i wanna bring the Boxes Back???? PLEASE HELP