1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Where did I go wrong?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JenOU, Nov 26, 2003.

1. JenOU

JenOU Member

Hi everyone!

Well, I just got software to burn DVDs. Somehow, I made an error in burning my first DVD (Finding Nemo). First, I decided to compress the data in Shrink 3.0. Because the bar was completely green, though, I assumed it’d be okay to go ahead with the burning. I opened DVD Decrypter.

Mode, ISO, Read. I extracted the file onto my C: drive.

When it was finished, I was left with two files:

Finding Nemo.iso
    Finding Nemo.mds

The tutorial online told me to find a .dvd file; since there was none, I selected the .mds. I got an error message that told me the file size was too big. I remembered the bar in Shrink 3.0 being completely green, so I bypassed the error message and continued with the burn. It got to about 56% after 15 minutes, and an error message popped up:

I/O Error!
    Device: [0:0:0]_NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A 10AC (D:)
    SsciStatus 0x02
    Interpretation: Check condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 23 05 40 00 00 10 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) – Sectors: 2295104 – 2295119

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Logical Block Address Out of Range

It quit burning after that 56%, and now all I have is the federal warning on disc, lol. I think my first error was picking the .mds file over the .iso. My second was probably ignoring that message saying the content was too large for the disc.

Also, when I used Shrink 3.0 before, instead of giving me a few files, it gave me about 25 mini files. Is this typical? What would I do with 25 little files?

Any advice out there, on Finding Nemo, and the multiple files Shrink gave me?

Thanks!
    Jen

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you have Nero, you can just have Shrink put all the files into a folder named VIDEO_TS (exactly like that, caps and all). There will be a bunch of files in there as you noticed. From there you can use Nero to burn the entire VIDEO_TS folder - not just the contents, very important - to a blank. You can go here for all the specific settings for Nero, they work like a charm for me!

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/nero.htm

3. JenOU

JenOU Member

Cool - thanks - I'll download that!

I'd still like to know if Finding Nemo was too large to burn, because I got conflicting messages. When I check the file sizes under properties, I get:

7,932,298 KB for the .iso file
    5 KB for the .mds file

Was the .iso file too big to burn? If so, why was Shrink 3.0's all green? Even more bizarre, I burned the 5 KB .mds file... I wonder why DVD Decrypter said it was too large? 5 KB is nothing!

Can anyone explain these mysteries to me?

Thanks!
    Jen

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi JenOU,
    Shrink and decrypter tend not to work so well together although I suppose it's possible. I think you should use Shrink to decrypt and compress your movie and then tell it to put the files into a folder you make on your hard drive called VIDEO_TS (all caps!) If you are using -R media you can download Burnatonce and use that to retrive the files from your VIDEO_TS folder and burn them to your disc. Another way you could do this is to download the free trial of AnyDVD and it's companion CloneDVD. AnyDVD runs in the background decrypting while CloneDVD does the work! Give it a try and let us know how you do. Don't forget to read the guides here at Afterdawn and also read a few of the posts here at this forum for insight into what other people are doing. :D
    Good luck!
    Frank

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Nephilim,
    Shrink and Nero are a favorite of mine. I use the Burning ROM portion of Nero 6 in DVD video mode. I did finding Nemo using those programs. Removed the menus and some audio and just burned the main title.
    Frank

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Shrink will show all green because it is in 'automatic' mode which means it is showing you how much it needs to compress the movie in a percentage. If you go to the left of the Shrink interface highlight the main dvd folder just under 'DVD Structure' then go to the right and tick the 'No Compression' option and it will show you how large the dvd is, the red portion being everything too large to fit on a dvd without compression. This is handy for guaging how much you may want to strip from the movie to get the lowest compression and therefore the best video quality (the least red in the bar).__X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't see the glass as half empty or half full. I just want to know if anyone spit in it.[/small]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003