1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Windows Update Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by grantr, Dec 31, 2007.

1. grantr

grantr Member

Hi all. I dont know if this is a virus problem or not but I need some help. I normally ignore my windows update messages that I get but I decided tonight to install updates.(windows XP). After it finished it told me to restart which I did. When it booted up I just had my desktop background and no icons so I rebooted again. It started OK but my internet settings had all changed (toolbar settings etc) and when I went to go into my email (office outlook) I had to reconfigure everything and all my old emails were wiped.Its like it just installed from scratch again. Does this normally happen with updates? Am I best to not install updates or what should I do? Is there anyway of getting all my old emails back?
    Thanks.

2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I've never heard of any update deleting emails, or defaulting settings, but anything can happen with those poorly coded patches, lol. Sorry, but I don't think you'll get those emails back. Once they're gone, they're gone.

As for your question about updating, you should not ignore them. They are released for a purpose. Updates are important and will save you a lot of problems in the future. You do not always have to install every update listed, but you should always install the high-priority updates. The best thing to do is go to the Microsoft Update site (every month or so), and click Custom instead of Express. This will allow you to choose which updates you want. But again, and it really can't be stressed enough, you should always install the high-priority updates.