1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a crashed win xp pro

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Rburner, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Rburner

Rburner Member

Recently i put my system together i was running windows xp pro and enjoying life. this morrning i updated windows media player restared and then played a song. Minuts later my system froze and i restarted and now it wont load to windows it just gives me the screen if you are seing this for the first time....
    i have tried every thing i know to restart but it has failed to do so i want to reload windows but it is not letting me boot from the disk even when i put the disk in and put boot from disk in the bios. Please help i am experencing withdrall from my computer.

2. Rburner

Rburner Member

how do i reformat my harddrive using windows xp help!!!!

3. Russ1982

Russ1982 Guest

is your harddrive Fat32 or NTFS?

4. Rburner

Rburner Member

NTFS. all i realy want to do is reinstall xp pro and it wont let me boot from the cd.

5. Russ1982

Russ1982 Guest

what size is your harddrive?
    so i now if it can go back to Fat32 with a win98 bootdisk.

6. Rburner

Rburner Member

80 gigs but no win 98 boot disk i saw some ware if you press shift with f5 you can go to dos is this right?
    i realy want to format my harddrive tonight when i get home from work.

7. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

first off, try booting up in safe mode and uninstall media player and see if that fixes it. make sure you delete the directory folder too.

How are you trying to boot from the cd? Are you just popping it in there and restarting or are you pushing F8 until you get the menu or are you going into BIOS and changing the "First Boot Device" to "CD-ROM"?

Trying going into BIOS and changing the first boot device to cd-rom. you might have to hit a button when you boot up. Ex. "Push any button to boot form cd..." Then XP should go into the setup mode automatically.

Or you can use FDisk to remove the partition. DO NOT create a partion with FDisk though, cuz its old school stuff and can only make FAT32 file systems, not NTFS, atleast im pretty sure. Then boot from the XP cd and it should go from there, in setup you will creat a NTFS partition.

not sure if that helped or confused you more. ill make it more clear if you need it to.

~levi

8. Russ1982

Russ1982 Guest

winME bootdisk

9. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

so your booting from WinMe boot disk?

don't do that, you dont even need that disk.

before i go on, i take it you have the XP Pro disc right??

10. Russ1982

Russ1982 Guest

XP Pro disc yes

11. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Thats all ya need man.

You can try one of the ways above, or I can explain them in more detail. But...

I gotta get going. So someone else will probably end up telling you how, before I get back. Otherwise if they dont, I'll post as soon as I can.

~levi

12. Rburner

Rburner Member

First off let me say thank you guys for helping me so quickly. second i wish it would go to safe mode. no me boot disk i did change bios to boot from cd no no avail i will try my other win xp cd that i actual baught but i dont know what else to do please i will talk all the advice i can in this matter i am fairly knowlegeable i have built 3 computers and if i still had my 98 cd i would be fine.

13. bird1234

bird1234 Member

If you have more than one optical drive, try putting it in the other one. I actually worked on a system before where I actually had to do that. If that does not work, go ahead and use the floppy you have, and make sure it allows you to access one or more of your optical drives. Then go through DOS and open the drive and run setup. Hopefully that helps.

14. Rburner

Rburner Member

I would just like to say thank you to all who helped me out durring this troubbling time. My computer is up and running again i thank you all and i shall try to help all newer people.

15. forkman

forkman Member

Always helps to pass on what you know.

16. Trigun

Trigun Member

Do a system restore.

Trigun

17. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

easy- start you computer and keep hiting F8 to get into the system configuration, than go to boot settings and set it to boot from cd- restart with xp install cd