Help with a sound problem on a Toshiba SD-6100

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by hhcup, Apr 8, 2008.

1. hhcup

hhcup Member

I have a minor problem with my Toshiba SD-6100KU DVD player. The player is connected to a Toshiba 42HL67 HD LCD TV.

When I connect the DVD player to the TV with the component video cables everything works fine. However, when I connect the DVD player to the TV with a HDMI cable in lieu of the component video I’m having sound problems. The sound intermittently quits for a second or two when I play a burned DVD disk. This anomaly doesn’t happen when I play retail DVD movie nor as I stated previously when the player is connect via component cables. I’ve tried several different name brand DVDR’s, both +/- discs.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem with Toshiba DVD players or another brand?

Also, the Toshiba SD-6100 is an upconvert player that will only upconvert when using the HDMI connection. But to my eye I don’t notice a difference in quality of picture when it upconverts with the HDMI in lieu of using the component cables with progressive scan enabled. Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to using HDMI and upconverting given the fact that my TV also upconverts the signal?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Eric

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Sounds like a problem with the HDMI cable. I know there has been lots of problems reported, mainly sync problems, but nonetheless people are having problems with them.

Where did you buy the cable and what brand is it?

I think a lot of this has to do with the type of chip that's in the player. Some players will upconvert better then others. Most of the time, I don't think you will really be able to tell the difference unless you are using a top of the line player. The whole HDMI thing is more of a gimmick that they are trying to force on us, like with HDCP and such.

I guess it's good because it can carry your audio and video signal through the use of just one cable. It also has the ability to carry these new HD audio formats. If you don't use HDMI, you would have to use a set of 5.1 analog cables, which would be more of a cable mess to some.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  3. hhcup

hhcup Member

Goodswipe,

Thank you for your input. the HDMI cable was the first thing I thought of as well, but I ruled that out by switching cables.

The good news is that I solved the problem by returning the Toshiba to BB and buying a Pioneer DV-400V. Everything works as it should now and the USB capabilities of the DV-400 is an added bonus.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest