1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with aspect ratio using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by AdRock925, Jul 19, 2006.

1. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

right the jap ac3 I have ripped straight from the vob of the original dvd is real 6 channel ,like I said you can't even hear it correctly with only two speakers.

Correct, but I wont need to do this because I have the real 6 channel audio, and it sounds like you do too from the dvd you have.

The english audio in torrent#1 is no good, whoever encoded that audio messed it up, you can hear it, what kind of sound setup is on your pc (surround, desktop stereo, headphones?)

here are quotes from other user's comments at torrentspy if you don't believe me:

If you think you can fix this somehow, go for it. I can settle with 2ch. stereo English track, after I know the plot I don't even use english or subtitles and if anyone else is too lazy to read then they get crappy audio..too bad.

or look for a 6 channel english version (I had a hard enough time finding a 6-channel english version and it's still in pal format) I take it the dvd you have is the Dreamworks american version (cheesy cover?) and doesn't have english audio.

(BTW I had the polish torrent for about a day but it was useless to me so I deleted it, don't want polish subs)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I just noticed that even the english version I've been working with for the past 24hours has the same problem as mentioned above, the dialog is constantly panning from left to right, it gives you a dizzying effect when listening. I just don't think there's a good english version out there on the net.

Time to start searching again hopefully this time find one that's ntsc too.-highly unlikely.

Well, I kept that mp4 english version I couldn't convert, good news; it's in english and the audio is excellent (don't think it's 6channel tho) big difference when you listen the two english tracks side by side side by side (f-ed up one vs. normal one).

Now all I need is someone to tell me REAL SLOOWWWLYYY how to extract the audio.

Before you ask, This is all gspot tells me:
    Ghost In The Shell - Innocence.mp4
    Non-AVI File - Type Unknown

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  3. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Ok, just read your last two posts...it's a perfect example of "how/why" not to use VDM to extract/demux the .mkv or any other .avi audio with it. IT doesn't support DTS or AC3, AAC!
    AAC=.mp4 This is probably why when the person who Uploaded torrent#1 with the very nice English 5.1<- it got converted to .mp3(2channel) and is now Ruined...how to "unscramble" it will be my next research project. Thanks for coping those "comments"..honesty I haven't played the Whole audio thru yet...so I really didn't witness the channel switching/ messed up business....actually, this was the first time I've ran into a "pitch" problem when converting PAL-->NTSC with Besweet.....maybe this "channel switching/5.1 downmixing" issue contributed to the "pitch" problem too?

Yes, you're in real good shape..if the English audio doesn't matter as much to you as me. So If you're going with the Jap 5.1 Dolby you ripped from a .vob and the matching Video(BTW, how did you demux it from the .vob? or did you just drop the whole .vob into DVD_LaB_Pro and let it demux? did the .vob come as a whole? which program did you use to join the .vob's?) all you need now is to put it all together, right? What audio are you still trying to get extracted from a .avi...some kind of .mp4 audio?<--AVI_Mux will "demux" a .mp4(AAC) stream from a .avi. if said .avi/Xvid,Divx,etc is in a .mkv USE MKVExtractor it will demux the audio too. And you really should try to get that jap DTS track from the (polish) torrent, it's real surround and 768kbps much higher quality than those 448 kbps Dolby tracks...even if your sound system of today doesn't support DTS there's alway tomorrow.

4. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Microsoft just felt like updating my puter...now my touch pad is ultra sensitive...already tried 3 times to post this. Got the Pal 25fps audio converted "time stretched" to fit the NTSC and the Pitch is Maintained...Auditon Rocks!
    Here are settings for Ratio:

25fps->>29.976fps ratio: 104.27
    25fps->>23.976fps ratio: 95.904
    [​IMG]

and before you ask...I have no way of confirming that Ratio of 104.27 being correct..I did the math..and I know it's strange...Just going on what was posted at DOOM9. but the other number works "close enough" and synced with my 23.976 with 2:3pulldown.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  5. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

^^^so this is the english track?, are you planning on converting to 29.97 firt then attempting to fix the 5.1?

I have all my streams except for a good english track (5.1 or stereo) I don't want the messed up stereo english stream. I have one good english audio track that is in MP4 format- one problem- It's over 4 hours long! for some reason it has an extra 3 hours of blackness/silence..don't know why.

I think I used VOBedit to extract the m2v, It must have joined the vob's automatically, all I know is I got a playable m2v out of it.

I'm more interested in getting the english stream problem solved, then I'll be picky about my 5.1 Jap

6. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

You see this is the Biggest Problem with "Frankensteining" together a Great DVD from "scrap". Taking a audio stream of x-length ripped from Y source...syncing it with video stream of x-lenght ripped from z source. In order to really make these sync correctly a NLE must be involved. Trouble with that is We/I want "real" 5.1 audio....and I haven't found a NLE that will allow the Importing of such + a .m2v or .mpv.
    You're in real good shape with your Dolby Jap audio+the same video rip. There's no sync issues there. Now, I'm looking for a NLE that will support DTS+Mpeg video stream? or Option B:
    Join the .avi's from the Polish rip...they're 23.976 fps match the DTS..problem there is the Video aspect ratio was Molested I believe the ratio was something like 720x326 or some "squeezed" vertical...wouldn't process very nicely back to 480. And then the english audio would need syncing to it.
    Tools..it's just a matter of having the right..TOOLs.
    On a bright note: I discovered another Big advantage of using Dvd_lab_pro over the Adobe Encore 1.5 I have...Encore(atleast my program) doesn't support 5.1 audio..Dolby or DTS..DVDLabpro does!

7. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Sort of....I've reencoded the video from torrent#1(duel audio) to 23.97(with 2:3 pulldown)<--the pulldown makes the framerate equevelent to 29.976 Because that jap DTS was ripped from a 23.976 source( and I can't do any editing(pitch,time stretching) it IT without messing up IT's surround. Making it sync..might be as simple as placing a delay B4 it..as long as the rate syncs..then it's just a matter of starting the audio at the right Point..understand.

If you want to try to "fix" and use this .mp3 audio I'd only do it..if you were going to use the video that came with it(no sync issue) You would first need to "time stretch" to match your new NTSC framerate..that would be 29.976 or 23.976 which ever you used.
    Usually I just use Besweet for this...but this time I noticed a "pitch" problem. As for "fixing" the 5.1...still researching that..I could easy enough split the freq and make 6 channel .wav then drop each of these into the DTS encoder..but it wouldn't be "real" might not even work...I'm not a sound engineer! I can do the basics...but if this started out as a 5.1 and got "downmixed" to 2channel..then compressed/formated to .mp3..the Hi-Fi is probably hopelessly lost. Like trying to "unscramble" an egg. If you're hoping to demux the AAC audio from a .mp4 and sync with the current video you have...you should be comparing the Framerates and the Runtimes on the two Videos. You might get lucky and just be-able to slide the audio over and sync right up to the other video.
    I'm downloading 1 more torrent that I found that looked interesting, don't remember if it had English audio or not. ETA-2days.

8. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

We need to draft an "expert" sound man or atleast pick his brain for awhile...on this extracting .mp4 aac audio and the "fixing" a 2 channel .mp3 up-mixing from a downmixed thing. I'm sure it's more complicated than just spliting frequencies..

9. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Hey, I had an Idea,, how about we make a splash screen at the beginning and use the Johnny Cash Song.."got it one piece at a time"?

10. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

LOL, can't argue with anything that involves Cash.

Guess what came in the mail today, GITS2 Manga release straight from the UK. Features: DTS japanese AND DTS english audio. I put it in my samsung DVD player - no luck, it got stuck searching for the region so I went into the options and it asked me to enter a regional area code, do you know what this is? I figure I can search engine it and find it.

but anyway I can rip it to my PC, I've never done this B4 I hear DVDdecrypter is the way to go. Then I'll have to extract the audio/video and find a way to convert from pal to ntsc. Will converting be any easier with the original vob's?

a short tutorial on this would be nice a link or short description would be much appreciated, just for the sake of keeping things running smoothly and quickly as possible. Have had a long day so I'll probably start working on this tommorrow.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  11. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

The problem with changing the Region code on your player is ITS A TRAP..after a few plays of dvd's with that region code..it won't play them anymore.....don't do it. Just rip it...use Rebuilder and make it Region free. Then try playing it again..it will still be PAL but you'll be able to see if it will Play. Just save the Decrypted video_Ts...the next option would be to convert the whole Video_Ts to NTSC. Go read up on Rebuilder...and DVDRemake.

12. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Well if I'm going to rebuild the dvd then I would like to use the subs I created and maybe find a way to get the dts english to you somehow. So it sounds like converting the entire dvd to ntsc (like you said) then ripping that burned dvd to extract/add the elements, like the dts english and subs, would be the best way to go. Y/N?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  13. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Honestly, the easiest/best bet for you is to buy a Region free DVD player that plays both NTSC and Pal...or "Mod" your Player with a chip.

2nd: You could just Rip/Rebuild the DVD..and use the "patch" technique to edit the .Ifo to make your Player "think" it's playing a ntsc...the other option is just re-author like we're doing...but You could make several DVD's this would make the authoring easier and simpler you could use more basic programs.

3rd..keep plugging along..at this point the "super-duper" dvd has became a vendetta...i got that song "Follow Me" stuck n my head now.

Yes, that English DTS & AC3 would be very much appreciated. But you will need to extract it from the Vob's.

That will only take 1-3 programs to do very easy and not "damage" the 5.1 streams.

Google and Install these shareware progs & and I'll post some quick "screenshots" visual How-to.

DVD Audio Extractor 4.1.0---If you use this first you can just put the DVD in and Rip the Audio streams straight from the DVD( maybe-haven't tried that yet..copy protection might get in the way.)
    DVD Audio File Splitter-- (used to Join the streams:if you used Decrypter first.
    DVD Decrypter--you probably already have this.

NUTS! I just thought of something! Is that DVD PAL? How are we going to process that audio --"time stretched" to fit a NTSC....I don't have anything that will support editing that! without transcoding it first--i.e. downmixing it to 2 channel. SHI____T!

14. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Yeah I know, I've been looking at region free DVD players for a couple years now. Honestly I think my next entertainment system is going to be completely PC driven - this whole project has had me revisiting that idea.

The patch technique with ifoedit seems flakey at best, every guide i've seen comes with a disclaimer and again I'd like a dvd that will work in pretty much any dvd player-plus that's no fun especially since that means excluding my subs.

Yes it is pal, that's why I'm thinking convert entire dvd to ntsc, used the burned ntsc dvd to then extract the audio and any other streams needed. this is the first method I'm going to try out: http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=300144

I haven't read through the entire guide to see if it has any limitations (like preserving the DTS) but it seems much more thourough than the patch method.

Is DVDdecrypter windows2k compatible?-had a version would not let me install because do not have XP.

15. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

16. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Tell me about it, just bought an mp3 player- absolutely useless to me because it requires WMP10 - P.O.S. the packaging didn't even have system requirements or anything.-to bad I hate XP and refuse to upgrade.

Well that's the tool you need, I only need it if the pal2ntsc dvd conversion doesn't work.

17. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Ok, I looked over the guide you posted...truthfully..that is one of the "patch" methods I was talking about.. you're flagging it to make a player think it's a NTSC video...I've always had reseverations about the DGpulldown method..it's a cheat over the real "pulldown" but it does solve the problem or "time stretching/fixing Pitch" and re-sync of audio(expecially when you have Audio worth preserving/and no way to edit it). My only concern is will it "fake-out" Dvd_Lab_Pro when it comes time to Import this "hybrid" .mpv(.m2v) and will it really play smoothly. I'll give it a test fly..I'll make another .mpv with CCE put one of the Dolby Jap rips with it and see how that goes. It is a great guide..although I think he digressed abit with the clipping/masking and deinterlacing.

Tell me again? why did you order another PAL region 2 dvd? for the English Audio? I thought you hated that?

18. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I didn't order another one, this is the first and only copy I have bought, I ordered it about three weeks ago the first or second day I originally posted. I figured that between the possibility of a stand alone dvd player being able to play it, possibly buying a region free dvd player, having a hard copy to rip and convert, having the original product packaging with the extra's DVD, and of course always being able to just watch it on my pc, it was worth spending $30 on. - If they would just release this version in the U.S. there would be no problem.

I have quite a few friends who like Anime as well and haven't seen this yet and this is a must-see for anime fans (I would say for everybody) and some of them have pretty nice surround sound systems too (which I don't- but I'll fix that soon). But so far the only way I have to watch this is at my PC, I'd just like a DVD copy of this that's high quality and I know I can watch where/whenever. A lot of people have ZERO knowelege about digital media, and just give you a funny look when you tell them the DVD might not play if it is not Region 2 compatible. You might as well say, "The gnomes inside the magic box decide if they will play disc."

19. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Well, Beam it Up Scotty! I need a good english audio stream...I might be able to trim it send it back to you. wait you don't need it anymore..you got ya self a good ol PAL one.

20. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Well there's nowhere on the net that I can beam it up to for it to reach you, unless you found a way using one of those links I posted B4. But, nevermind that, I mus confess I've been holding out on you, I have a program called File Share Pro - heard of it? In order to use it you need to have it installed on your "puter" (not a big program) it basically sets up a simple password-protected website to share files with other users, I've only used it once with a friend and it was a little confusing connecting (because I don't have a static IP Adress) but he was able to figure it out so I'm sure you could too. If you decide to get that prog. all our file sharing issues will be solved, let me know for more info - password etc.

Now, an interesting thing about this UK bought DVD, it's a Double Disk set.
    Disc1 includes Eng & Jap 2.0 stereo + Eng & Jap 5.1
    Disc2 inludes Eng & Jap DTS, so if I want, for instance, to create a single DVD with eng & Jap stereo + Eng & Jap DTS this is going to require "frankensteining" audio from the two discs together (because nothing can ever be simple). - just an interesting tid-bit I'd thought I share with you.

I also have decided this will probably have to go onto a DVD9 dual layer disk, ordered some from amazon should be here early next week. Is there anything I need to know about ripping 4 dual layer - I noticed DVDFab has a check-box under it's general options to enable dual layer burning does this matter for ripping as well?