1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with aspect ratio using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by AdRock925, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I never use DVD-9 DL unless it's absolutely necessary. The authoring program has to place a Layer break in the Video_TS...and many DVD standalone players still have trouble with the layer break..and hang up. 2nd the more Data you place on this DVD like multiple audio files means less room for Video quality. Think about it, all those audio streams on the same disk..and you can only play one of them at a time...and many persons standalone Stereo don't even support DTS..just Dolby. So it's more practical just to make 2 dvd's- one with the Dolby...one with DTS. Once we have the authoring done and save the "project" it just takes a second to swap out the Dolby track with the DTS..and compile again and burn...just another .30 cent disc!

Before you get carried away with all this DGPulldown...and re-authoring...Please Just rip the disc with DVD Shrink, or Decrypter, AnyDVD,clonedvd,dvdfabexpres,etc..and remove the RC (region code) set the new Video_TS you're "backing up" to your HD- to Region 0 (region free) and then use DVD ReBuilder(or Nero Recode to "back-up" the entire disc...burn with Nero or other burning soft. Try it in the Player again...it will still be PAL but without the Region (marketing) restriction..If you stick it in and a message comes across the screen----Reading....... Don't be worried..it takes the Player longer to Read the different PAL Format...It might just be a Region Code problem..Europe is Region 2, US is Region 1. If another message comes up then saying can't read format or No Disc..the you should tackle the Re-Authoring.

You could just upload the .mp4 file to BitTorrent, NanoTorrent, Limewire, etc.....I have all of them...and no static IP address, Port stealthing, Peer Guardian, and other "stuff" Just give me the title and where to look.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  2. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

If you want the mp4 just go to torrentspy and type in: ghost in the shell innocence, it's the only mp4 listed. Remember, this is a stereo english track, (as far as I know since nothing I have will open it) I used the term "good" because it doesn't have the panning effect.-which is what we were discussing at the time of that post.- like I said before I don't think there's a good surround sound version out there on the net anywhere.

I know I can recode the dvd any time, I'd still like to get my subs in tho. - I've alrady seen the movie frame by frame at this point, I have practically every line memorized, hell I re-wrote the freakin' script, I would like all this to be for something more than just recoding a DVD.

The reason I was going to use a dvd9 is because after I ripped the DVD the movie alone was 6.19GB, I'm not concerned with it right now, if I need to squeeze it on a DVD5 so be it. chances are I'm going to end up burning several different versions - for practice if nothing else.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  3. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Usually when I author with DVD_LaB Pro ,,,I start out by setting the project to DVD-9 and start adding material until it reaches this point..then decide if I need to go larger..If I go larger than DVD-9 then I ALWAYS use DVD REBUILDER on the compiled Video_TS to compress it down to either DVD-5 if it's under dvd-9...or down to dvd-9 if it's over. Then Burn the "compressed" version. This is one of the reasons I prefer to use CCE encoder..it's the same encoder that is linked to Rebuilder.

4. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I haven't authored a DVD on this level before so I don't have any kind of developed method, I'm stll not familiar with most of these programs I'm just following guides and instructions step by step, usually with programs and UI's that I'm seeing for the first time.

5. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

aint it fun! just wait till you're done...and place that disc in your player and watch all this "hair pulling" come to life with menus..music..movie...all you need is some "thunder& Lighting" in the backgound...and you can be screaming "IT LIVES!"

6. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

You know after you get the RC protection removed from the disc..and if it Plays in your player as a PAL....if the only thing you want to change in it is just the crappy Subtitles...you could consider a program called DVD REMAKE.....it probably would allow you to just "go into" the PAL Video_TS...remove/replace Just the Subtitles with one of your own design..close it and burn ...voili your "custom subs are in" You would just have to re-sync them to that PAL video.

7. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I didn't know that, I'll look into that. I'm just thinking, yeah maybe I could patch the disc and get it to play on MY DVD player, but how many other DVD players will it play on, 90%, 75%, 10%? for instance I also watch a lot of DVD's on my Playstation2 (for another television) but it's very tempermental with the coding/disc type/ etc. There's a lot of protection on the PS2, because of pirated games, I have my ps2 moded and do burn games for it, but if I feed it the wrong DVD like a RW or even a cheap brand like a memorex or sony, it wont play it. I would like to have a disc I don't have to cross my fingers or carry a four-leaf clover around with me to watch.

8. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Do you think there's a way I could link the subtitle button of the original DVD menu to my subtitles?

9. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Of course, that's way I'm talking about...if you use DVD REMAKE you should be able to simply replace the .srt file with one's of yours...just a little more work though...you see the vob structure will probably be split into several "segments" example: vts_1_1_1.vob, each of these segments would contain a partial video,audio,subtitle stream...you would have to go thru each segment and copy it to you subtitle edit program ...edit it then replace the orginal..the nav structure (menu button operation) would remain the same..stay linked to that subtitle...you're just replacing the .srt file with one of your own. Relinking the button. I'm thinking about using the program too....see if I can simply take the Video_TS that I have and add the english audio steam + jap DTS+ attach the music video dvd...

10. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

hmmm, just read Doc409's answer..i pm'd him.he's "real big" on ReMake..but he didn't seem to believe the program is that powerful...it is suppose to be a vob editor...my idea "theoretically" would work if you can edit each vob...keep it all organized.

11. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Cool...so after I have the DVD ripped and the RC removed and all I'm doing to the dvd is replacing the subtitles then the only program I need is DVDremake + a dvd authoring program? Can you give me a ballpark range (like a precentage) of number of DVD players the patch method will likely work on, if it's likely it will work on most DVD players I'll just recode with new subs.

Am I being too lazy?...too many long days in a row.

12. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I can't give you a "ballpark" figure on how many player will or won't..out of 5 stand alone players I've had..only 2 won't play PAL disc..one of which was so old it wouldn't even play a DVD-+R. The other was a cheap-o Wal-Mart 35.00 job.. None of the players, however would play any other Region Coded(other than Region1)...So the 1st concern is to Rip that puppy...lose the Region Coding Protection and just See how many of your players it will work on.
    To do that you just need a Decrypter program...and a Burner Prog.
    Possible decrypters are: Shrink,Decrypter,DvdFabDecrypter,AnyDvd,
    Compression(to make it fit DVD-5):shrink, Nero(Recode),DVDRebuilder
    Burning soft: Nero

Once you see if it plays without the region code..then you can decide which way to go from there. ReMake or complete re-author.

I've almost got the audio stream(that I have) in sync with the video.

13. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Yo headborg, I got a question, Does DVD rebuilder have a way to preview the DVD, or is there an easy/quick way to output the rebuilt DVD that hopefully doesn't ust a lot of disk space (running VERY low). The reason I ask is this: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/380567

OK got my answer, DVDrebuilder pro has a preview but right now I'm not using pro, back to my local software supplier. It doesn't look like rebuilder has a way to add subs anyway, guess I need to use remake?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  14. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Wow, DVDremake looks complicated, to say the least. Opened the VIDEO_TS and messed around with the interface, went to the help menu to try and figure out how to remove/add subs and found the section but so far they didn't do me much good. Read them Three times, stared at the diagrams, clicked on a bunch of stuff on the interface...????..it semms it would be easier to just learn japanese.

When import into DVDRemake it says there are errors during the process and refers me tho the error log, Can you make any sense of this?:
    ---------------------------------
    Read DVD from: C:\My Files\Projects\Ghost in the Shell Innocence DVDRIP\Disc1\original DVD
    Read VMG
    The system cannot find the file specified.

(171:dataAccess.cxx)
    Can't open VIDEO_TS.IFO. (925:VMG.cpp)
    can't load VMG.
    Read DVD from: C:\My Files\Projects\Ghost in the Shell Innocence DVDRIP\Disc1\original DVD\VIDEO_TS
    Read VMG
    Read VTS1
    Recovering C_ADT & VOBU_ADMAP tables. (692:VobData.cpp)
    Read VTS2
    ---------------------------

after the error message, it still opens the VIDEO_TS, I can see the movie and navigate through the disc hierarchy, but i'm not sure if there still isn't something that's not going right.

....oh wait, I might be on to something here....I think I might have it, i'll post back.

15. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

So are these (circled) the segments you are speaking of?

[​IMG]

So are you saying that I probably couldn't just import a new subtitle stream? That I would havt to go back and edit each one of these segements? Well I hope that's not so, there is ann Add Stream option if you right=click in the sub list window, whether or not this will will be one click solution I'll have to find out. As of right now I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and let you know what I'm doing.

16. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I don't know, DVDremake is just looking to complicated for me, it seems like a program that is better off for when you have some experienve under your belt and at least understand the structure of a DVD. I think I'm better off authoring a DVD from elementary streams. Out of all the programs i've seen thus for during this project this one seems to be the most elaborate, and the "help" just isn't much help.

17. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I can't tell anything from that pic ..it's too small. But glad to hear you found a way to add streams...yes, simply adding your sub-stream would be an option..maybe you could "delete" the old stream and simply link YOUR subs to the same 'button' on the menu...I was going to start experimenting with this progam in a day or so when i get more free time..right, now getting busy..I got all the audio streams I have sync with the video...I'm going to use the video from the DVD I aquired. The Jap 5.1 Dolby and the very poor 192kbps 2channel stereo are sync(from the factory) and now after adding 1.907 second delay the English is in sync...I had to add 49.22 seconds of silence at the beginning of the DTS track to make it sync and it's still short by 2 seconds at the end. I'm in no hurry on this project, still waiting for 1 more torrent to finish downloading..and I've decided I want to try something "creative' with this...I'm planning on upgrading to DVD_LAB_Pro 2 for the buttons on video for the menu....I'm planning on cutting the Follow Me Video and using it for my Menu Video background....I'm going to try to make a Title Overlay...like the original using Lighwave and overlaying on the Video..

18. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Well actually I haven't found a way to add or delete the subtitles, DVDremake makes no sense to me at this point. If you use DVDremake for anything and figure it out let me know.

19. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

i'm not sure it will work I've never used it b4..but from the description I'm assuming it might work..and if not there's other programs like vobedit, vobrator....It would actually be easier and require less HD memory to simply edit what you already got. What do you have..you got it ripped right? have you tried burning it to a dvd as a test? Nero works well..most of the time. Shrink works well too. let me know how it's going...and when/if you get ready to join->demux->reencode->dgpulldown.

Yes, I believe Remake would allow you to simply add Your .srt subtiles then "disable" the old and re-link the button(orginal in Factory Menu) to your subs....but remember it's still a PAL video at heart playing at 25fps..you'll need to re-sync the whole thing again.

20. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

OK, I have a basic question, Why do commercial DVD's hold more information than DVDs used for burning (dvd5 or dvd9). Is this because they're stamped rather than burned? Or do they use a different DL structure than a DVD9? I thought most DVD's were DL, so why is it "risky" to use DVD9?