1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with aspect ratio using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by AdRock925, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

Stamped?:scratches head: Have you googled yet? This is the story as I understand it...Industry Laser(which burns a finer..higher quality...can burn up to 9GB(DVD-9) on a single layer ..standard DVD. The price tag on such technology is still out of reach for the average Joe comsumer...so we have the best publicly affordable dvd burners...which at this time is only capable of burning 4.7 GB(dvd-5) on a single layer. The dvd itself (I beleive) would be just the same as a commercial dvd...but We the consumer are not equiped to Write(burn) with a $600,000 dollar DVD burner. DVD-9 DL is being marketed to consumers so that We can copy an entire 9GB movie to a 'homemade' burned DVD without 'compression' software like Shrink, REBuilder, Remake, etc. No Compression= no quality loss. But there's still the 'layer break' which can cause some players & burners to 'hang up'.

I loaded my copy of DVD REBUilder 1.3 onto computer ...and had a look-see, you're right(or I hadn't enough BEER) it looks like it will take a season(or two) to explore the finer points possibilities of that program. I'll come back to it..after I create one in DVD_Lab_Pro. Tonight, I'm burning a 'test' simple just the video+ that DTS audio track..to make sure the audio/video sync. I've also found and started downloading that .mp4 file...is the english audio 5.1?

Stamped..pressed? hmmmm, learn something new everyday...thanks!
    so (factory-hollywood) dvd's have pitts& groves and "burned" dvd's the dye color changes...but the same laser reads both "formats"???hmmm. hell, I thought they both had pitts&groves..

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  2. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Actually DVD-R capable players (apparently) have an extra laser, but it probably just depends on the player.

I'm assuming you meant DVDremake? I have version 3.1.4pro, I did some more exploring with it and eventhough it seems to have a lot of capabilities, I don't think importing SRT streams is one of them.

I am currently making a RC-Free test DVD using DVDshrink - it will probably become my final Disc 2, it has the movie but only with the director's commentary audio/subs, and the "making of" so it's sort of an extras disc that will help free up a little space on disc1.

Do you need HQ artwork or movie soundtrack for anything?

3. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Oh yeah, no I don't think the audio in that mp4 is DTS or even ac3 surround for that matter. Are you still trying to create a DTS english track using audio editing apps.?

4. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

think i need a new Power Supply,
    yes, I sure could use some still images...ones that are suitable for menu backgrounds..i.e 'dead' empty space for buttons. and that 'Follow Me' song in nice Surround.

the english mp3....yes, if i can determine if any/all the DPL dolby pro logic info is left, I might be able to just re-code it to Dolby 5.1 with my encoder. If, no info left..i could always make a "faux" 5.1.

5. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Well I only have one pic with "dead empty space" and a bunch of HQ screenshots that do make for good backgounds, I try to avoid making menu's look too plain. I don't think "Follow Me" is in surround sound, it's the Original Motion Picture Sounctrack CD so it's probably just in stereo.
    here's some images from the movie (interesting to look at if nothing else)
    http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=5d219f71

I like this one.
    [​IMG]

links to websites with other images:
    http://www.reallyscary.com/ghostshell.asp
    http://www.geekroar.com/film/archives/000587.php
    http://media.filmforce.ign.com/articles/508/508892/imgs_1.html

6. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

hey man, that download contained 6 adware/spyware and 2 virus...that my system had to deal with.....
    you should check your system and not send people stuff...or find a new fileshare program that don't embed such things as:

downloader
    M
    winfix
    here's a log of what your came with those .jpg in tht rar:

[​IMG]

7. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

WTF?, My system is clean. It has to be that website, that's f-ed up, sorry. I don't ever send things over the net like that, most people I share files with we do it privately.

8. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I downloaded that .ace file from the webpage, opened it with no problems, ran Ad-aware and spybot and created a new log with hijackthis, ad-aware came up with 4 minor adware's that were easily removed and that was it.

Do you use XP Pro?

If you use XP or XP home edition your doomed either way. (especially home edition)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  9. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

nope, that was the log from norton anti-virus, got 2 more logs from Windows Defender(windows anti-spyware) and one from Trojan Hunter.
    WinFix stuck around the longest and was the hardest to kill. The pictures you sent were nice though.

10. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Just burned my test DVD (RC removed using DVD fab, Shrunk w/ DVDshrink, burned with nero burning ROM) - nothing. Tried it on two different samsung stand-alones just spits the disk out and my PS2 tells me "TV formats do not match" but my PC plays the Disc fine. Both samsungs are DVD/VCR combo's tho, but they are newer models.

So I guess I'll have to go back to a more thorough patch method, these are my next two plans:
    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=221928

if that doesn't work then this:
    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=300144
    which I think you've already seen and I have already done the first couple steps too.

a couple hours later....

Partial success! The IFOedit patch method (first link) worked with my samsung. No luck with the PS2 still "TV formats do not match". Now I just need to decide if I'm satisfied with this patch method or if I want to "go for the gold", will probably test this disc in as many dvd players I can get my hands on before I make a final decision.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  11. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

lol..i can see you now...at Best Buy, Sears, the mall...inserting and trying your disc in all the displays that are hooked up..lol

12. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

GOOD IDEA!...see ya.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  13. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Well actually it wasn't quite as successfull as I originally thought, all is well except for, some reason when I use IFOedit it screws with the menu buttons so that the highlighted menu graphic (subpicture) is mis-aligned, it seems as if the menu graphic and highlight graphic are operating at two different resolutions/sizes/whatever.

If I can't solve this then I have to decide whether to try to keep the original menu (which is really nice) or just scrap it, which I was going to have to deal with anyway when I try to insert my subs. One thing that will be a great help is if somebody could tell me if there is a DVD authoring program that allows for an existing menu to be imported?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  14. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

hello?,where'd you go? The beast didn't crash did it?

15. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

nope...didn't crash..but haven't been 100% suscessful at removing all the sypware/adware/virus/trojans. that WinFixer 2006 is a tuff one....had to manually remove it...trouble is...it's adaptive..it learned how/what anti-spyware I was using..so i had to employ new anti-spyware. Now, there's still pieces of it..trying to work...but other files have been killed.

16. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Damn, that sucks. I've noticed some odd operating processes in my task mngr. not sure if they're malicious or just new from all these new programs i've installed during this project. Whatever they are they aren't having an adverse effect on my system performance. I'm not on my pc right now but when I get a chance i'll post the names/scrnshots of my task manager.

are you still able to operate smoothly? how's the DVD coming along?

17. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

haven't been working on it...system maintance/security top priority..I'm still downloading the .mp4 copy and a HD(high def) copy..hoping to find a good 5.1 english somewhere...and just waiting for you to get your PAL aspect ratio changed to NTSC and the dGpulldown done..and all that imported to DLP.

18. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I have converted video to ntsc m2v, that was the last thing I did, haven't really been working on it either. Since the whole Zip file infestation incident been trying to figure out if my system is infected or not, the only real signs it's showing are these odd processes that pop up after my pc been running for a while (not a good sign). have you ever seen sh*t like this:

[​IMG]

I googled them and tried sites like castlecops but it's hard to search for something that appears to have foriegn characters in them.

My comp has to be infected there's too much wierd sh*t going on.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  19. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I'd search my computer for those files...find out were they are..which program folders they are in...then copy them to a temp folder...tben delete...and end the process fist with task manager...and see what happens..what no longer works.

20. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I found those files (file search didn't work), they were in my local settings> temp, deleted them not sure if they will come back or not. The most concerning thing is that when I go to install most anti- virus progams (like spybot & others) something instantly & permenantley deletes the .exe file, when I go to launch prog. cannot find exe.