1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP WITH BACKUP OF HARRY POTTER

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Jade1982, May 15, 2004.

1. Jade1982

Jade1982 Guest

where do i start???

i am attempting to back up my copy of harry potter 1 using dvd shrink and nero 6.... only, it came up with a cyclic error, and then a copy protection error.... i checked the dvd, no scratches....

then, i tried to use dvd decrypter like one of the other forums suggested..... only, it is too large for dvd decrypter to do....

and finally, now every time i try to back up the dvd, it comes up with a copy protection error and wont even open the dvd....

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Possibly a bad disc from the factory, it's been known to happen.

Are you ripping in File mode or ISO mode? What OS are you using?

Sometimes playing the DVD for a few seconds with a software DVD player like PowerDVD or WinDVD will do the trick by unlocking your drive.

3. Jade1982

Jade1982 Guest

i am using win XP home....

and using the ISO.... i had never used dvd decrypter before and was just following the user guide that is on this site.....

is there another way to do it with dvd decrypter????

i will try using windvd for a few seconds like you suggested.... but i am having the same trouble with oceans eleven as with harry potter.....so i dont think that it is a disk fault.....

thanks

4. Ausgum

Ausgum Member

Try opening the movie with your DVD player software (Power DVD, etc) until the movie starts playing, then close the player down and then try shrinking with DVD Shrink.I find this works for me if i get any errors shrinking or encoding

5. michigan

michigan Guest

crc errors are almost always a "bad" disc. You might not be able to see the problem but it is probably there. If you can return it and get another one you will probably fix the problem.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You can also rip in File mode, which is a lot better if you're using a FAT23 file system. In Decrypter, go to the Mode menu and set it to File. When the list of DVD files comes up, make sure all of them are highlighted if you want to run it through Shrink afterwards. If they're not, just hold down <CTRL> and <A> at the same time to get them all selected. Then set your destination directory and you're ready to go.

It's true that crc errors are typical for bad discs, but that doesn't mean one should assume a bad disc just because you get one of those errors, particularly if it only comes from Shrink and not Decrypter. The first thing I do in that case is to check the disc for obvious problems, especially fingerprints since I have kids. After I clean off any fingerprints, if I don't see any physical defects (actually even if I do), I let Decrypter try ripping it. If there are still errors, the disc almost certainly has problems.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night
    Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm
    Good Guides To Get You Started: [/small]

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Hi, you mentioned "i tried to use dvd decrypter like one of the other forums suggested..... only, it is too large for dvd decrypter to do". So are you able to decrypte the movie? If you are, then trying to burn that won't work. If you rip a movie straight from dvddecrypter that file will be the same size as the movie somewhere around 7+ GB. That will not fit on a writable dvd. So, if you are able to rip it will create a video_ts file. Open shrink, then open that video_ts file. The you can do one of two things:

1)change target destination to ISO Image File --> check box to Lauch DVD Decrypter --> click ok.

2)change target destination to your burner --> goto preferences click the box to enable burning with nero --> click ok.

Hope that works for you.

8. jmccrum

jmccrum Member

Same problem here, I am experienced at ripping, have decrypter, clone, shrink, x copy and cannot burn the new lord of the rings, get crc errors on all programs including decryptor. Both disks (yes I rented two different ones) are perfect, have the error in the same place. I can burn the special features disk with no problems. Disks are good, my burner is good, ripping other movies no problem. Has the industry figured out a way to make burnproof? Your ideas.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Well for one thing somebody is breaking the law. You do not copy rented movies.

Now back to the issue, the software involved. The only way that size would be an issue with DVD Decrypter or Shrink is when there is not enough free space on the hard drive. I have backed up the programs mentioned with the same software mentioned (no encryption issues). I have even worked with discs one would have thought destroyed by the kids. Scratches (as long as they don't go through to the media) can usually be buffed and read.

[bold]Here are some questions you should have been asked and then the forum may be of more help:[/bold]
    1)Are you using the latest versions of DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink?
    With DVD Shrink go to [EDIT] on the toolbar, enter [Preferences], and under [Output Files] check to see if the top 4 of the 5 boxes are checked. Read the manual on these controls.
    2)What kind of system are you recording with; i.e. the CPU type and processor speed in MHz or GHz, hard drive speed and size with available free space, how much RAM?
    3)You only told us the OS is XP. Is the OS the original to the computer or did you upgrade from Windows 9x? (That would address the Fat 32 (not 23)- NTFS file issue as XP uses NTFS in the original OS and needs to be changed in an upgrade. FAT 32 can only deal with 32 Gigabyte partitions in XP by the way. NTFS is dealing with 500 GB and 250 GB partitions on my system. The NTFS can easily handle two 500 GB drives for the guys who are high rollers. There you get into having the Service packs installed. (interesting trivia)
    4)Have you run your spyware software and what anti virus and recording software are on the PC? (There is a reason, believe me...) AdAware and Spysweeper are two of the best freebies. If you don't have them, you'll be amazed at what you find.

Now to the media. Up front I don't really suspect the media. And it wouldn't be an encryption issue as I have backed up all the Harry Potters for the kids and did Oceans Eleven for my library. I used the same software you are talking about here.

As a lot of flaws are invisible to the eye, here is a good solution for checking the media.
    There is the free software DVDINFOPro. Be forewarned, this thing will pick up disc write errors that won't effect recording. And most DVD Rs have errors on the outer edges that don't effect recording. So, one sort of has to interpret the results. The New disc being copied should be free of write errors in the movie section. If you have problems understanding your results, get back to me. This tool takes a long time checking the disc.
    Using the different file modes in Shrink and Decrypter shouldn't be an issue unless something is setup wrong. I burn everything in ISO. The reason being the file type is more flexible across the many different software programs. In other words, more of the programs I've seen have the ISO file mode in common. So, ISO was a good choice. Back when I first started, I used the file modes. As I graduated from being a Newbie, I found the advantages of using ISO and now only use
    the file selection when I have to. Some people do like the file system and I won't put it down. As I said, "I prefer the ISO due to flexibility".

Again, [bold]size is not an issue with Decrypter[/bold]. The only issue is, do you have a large enough space to store the files?

[bold]As for the various file systems with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter:
    [/bold]Shrink can access both Video_TS files and ISO files. The [Open Disc] selection can utilize ISO files loaded on an emulator program (such as the good freebie DAEMON) as well as the movies on disc. The [Open Files]
    selection opens Video_TS files.
    Decrypter under [Mode] gives the options of setting the files up in 3 methods and it will burn in ISO. The choices are [File], [Ifo], [Iso (read)]; and you can burn with Decryter with [ISO (write)]

[bold]Get back with the answers to these questions and you will have a better shot at getting your problem solved.[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2004
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

Forgot to mention. The guides at doom9.org are more up to date and more in depth.

Happy Trails