1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Booting windows

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by JoeyBoy, Jul 5, 2007.

1. JoeyBoy

JoeyBoy Member

Hello My problem is I had recently installed vista transformation pack 7 and it installed fine now I had used the windows repair console to replace the files back to normal it went fine but the problem is it will go to the windows logo and then restart and do it again and again. I am running windows xp pro Service pack 2 if there is anything I can do please help I dont want to format the drive or something. Thanks for all the help in advance.

2. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Can you boot in safe mode?

3. JoeyBoy

JoeyBoy Member

See thats the thing I cant its funny on my computer I cant do that unless I go to run and type ms config and do it there. I have an MSI 945p mother board with pentium d 3.0 processor if that helps maybe there is something I dont know. But it will not go past the windows loading logo it will just keep rebooting.

4. seb32

seb32 Regular member

When you boot into safemode, it usually does it before that windows logo screen... are you saying that your computer doesn't let you boot into safe mode either?

EDIT: Can you boot the installation CD?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  5. JoeyBoy

JoeyBoy Member

It will let me boot into safe mode but I have to be able to get past that loading screen but again it just restarts. I know that you can press f8 and it should let you choose boot mode but not for me it will ask only to boot from floppy, ODD, or the HD. Now to answer the other question yes I can get to the installation cd no problem lol that is the easy part. I used the repair console and it replaced all the windows files with originals. Now when I used the vista transformation pack it worked fine booted up with the vista logo, but now that I recovered the files it will have the xp logo and stop there like it wants to start but reboots it is so weird. Is ther any thing I should do from the windows cd. Thanks for your help seb 32 I appreciate it.

6. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Do you have a backup of your files? If not, you're pretty screwed.

My next suggestion would be to take the CD again, and do a Destructive Recovery (or something like that). It's the one that formats your hard drive before installing XP again.

7. jony218

jony218 Guest

When I had a similar problem with windows xp rebooting at the log-in screen, I had a drive letter change problem. My c: drive got changed to d: drive.(what causes computer to reboot was that it was looking for the next bootup files in the wrong drive.). You can check if that's your problem by using the demo "paragon justboot corrector" to bootup your computer and check your partitions and associated drive letters. Your system partition should be c: drive. The only programs that I know that can change your drive letters "on the fly" are "paragon" and "vcom partition commander pro 10" (both come in boot disks). A wrong drive letter can be changed back in less than 5 minutes with the right utilitys. If you have partition imaging software (true image or ghost etc)I would recommend you make an image of your system drive before proceeding with any repairs. That you almost got your computer to boot means your not in bad shape. This in my experience looks like an easy to fix problem. At least you need to verify your drive letters are correct, before trying anything else.

demo available here http://www.justboot.us/boot_corrector.htm

directions to fix drive letters with freeware
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

another place that deals with xp boot problems
    http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/forum-2.html&sid=94076b1b40aaf0d3d32d4ed1f43ebce2

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I spent two weeks working this problem out... here's the fix!!!

The following process is designed to recover the system from boot errors that are preventing your Win NT 4.0, Win2K, Win Server 2003, and/or Win XP installation from booting. The following issues can be resolved via this method:

• HAL.DLL
    • NTOSKRNL.EXE
    • NTLDR
    • BOOT.INI

1. First step is to boot with a WinXP Install CD. Please ensure it’s an XP disc as other versions do not include the needed tools.
    2. When you get to the first menu screen, we’ll need to select ‘R’ as we would like to enter the Recovery Console.
    [​IMG]

3. At the next screen, you’ll be prompted to enter the Operating System that you would like to repair. Try to keep in mind that your CD Drive will not be given a place here and other drives will move down a drive letter. eg F:\ would now be E:\

[​IMG]

4. There are eight commands in total that you’ll need to enter, however depending on installation type, you may not need all of them. Here are the commands, followed by a graphical run-down:
    • C:\CD..
    • C:\ATTRIB –H C:\BOOT.INI
    • C:\ATTRIB –S C:\BOOT.INI
    • C:\ATTRIB –R C:\BOOT.INI
    • C:\DEL BOOT.INI
    • C:\BOOTCFG /Rebuild
    • C:\CHKDSK /R /F
    • C:\FIXBOOT

Obviously you would select the HDD in question should your partition\HDD not be C:\. If your partition cannot find the BOOT.INI file, skip straight to the ‘BOOTCFG /Rebuild’ option. You will also need to ensure that your ‘FIXBOOT’ option is targeted at the correct drive also. eg. If your OS in question is E:\, you will need to type ‘FIXBOOT E:’ etc.

[​IMG]

5. After that, we just run the ‘FIXBOOT’ command which will fix all the loose ends we have created.
    6. Type ‘EXIT’ to reboot, remove the CD from the drive and check if you’re new installation setting are operational!

BACKGROUND
    Why does it work?
    The key here is that the ‘BOOTCFG /Rebuild’ option actually scans the OS and replaces the main system files in question. With these new files in place, you just ‘FIXBOOT’ to fix your BOOT.INI file and allow the bootloader to know the address of your OS.

ENJOY!