1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with burning SVCD.....

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ElBarte, Dec 29, 2003.

1. ElBarte

ElBarte Member

I have a .mpg file that I tried to burn as a .SVCD using Nero 6. However, after encoding the video, it tells me that the file is too large to fit on a 700 mb CD-R, even though the file is only 645 mb. Any suggestions?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You mean the AVI file was only 645mb?? Well the Size of the AVI file has absolutly no bearing on how big the file will be after it has been encoded to SVCD ,What Matters is the Length of the AVI file and in SVCD format you will only fit about 40-45 minutes on a Single CD-R so allmost every movie is going to have to go on 2 or More CD-R"s in SVCD Mode..So you are going to have to Cut your AVI file into parts before Loading them into Nero...I hope you realize that the Nero SVCD encoder is the Absolute worst Quality Encoder that was ever created and it is a Long running Joke in the Digital Video Comunity..You would be Much better off Quality wise if you used a Real Mpeg encoder like Tmpgenc...There are guides in the User submitted Guides section that will explain other Better methods for Makeing SVCD"s....Good Luck

3. ElBarte

ElBarte Member

Well, thanks for the help. This is my first attempt at encoding/burning video, so almost all the information I see is new (to me). But, I do mean .mpg, not .avi. The movie is already broken into 3 segments, all .mpg, and I was able to burn the last two parts fine, its only the first that gives me trouble. The funny thing is, the last two parts combined were larger than than the first alone (I don't remember exactly how large, but still less than 700 mb), and all fit on one CD-R. I checked out the guides, and I got VCDGear and BurnAtOnce, but both programs don't recognize the file....
    Anyway, thanks again for the help and the tip about Nero, I'll try TMPGEnc and see how it goes...