1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Canopus ADVC 100

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by arunc, Feb 4, 2005.

1. arunc

arunc Member

I am thinking for buying the Canopus ADVC-100 as recommended by many users on this group. What rendering software is recommended for this product?
    I am a real beginner at all this and would appreciate helpful suggestions.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t really know what you Mean by a "Rendering" product??

The ADVC-100 is a Hardware DV Encoder which will capture the Files in DV AVI format...If you want to Put these Files on to DVD then you will Have to encode the Captured Files to Mpeg-2 useing a Good Quality Mpeg encoder Like "Tmpgenc Xpress" and after they have been encoded to Mpeg-2 for DVD you will need to use a DVD Authoring Program like "DVDLab" so you can add your menu"s and Chapters and to Burn the DVD......

3. arunc

arunc Member

Can I use a commercial product like Pinnacle Studio for instance? Does it support the AVI format?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

I guess you Could But it is a Pretty Crappy program in My Opinion, Especially it"s Mpeg encodeing which is Pretty Bad compared to other Standalone encoders...

I find for the Best results it is Better to use seperate Programs to accomplish each Step in the Process because there are no "All In One" Programs that do anything well so you will achieve much better Quality if you use a standalone DV Capture Program (DV Capture is Totally Different than Analogue Capture) Like "Scenalyzer Live" and then use a Standalone Mpeg encoder to encode the Files to Mpeg-2 Like "Tmpgenc Xpress" and then use a Standalone DVD Authoring Program Like "DVDLab" or "DVDLab Pro".....

There are a Few High End Editing programs that can Capture well and Edit and Encode to Mpeg-2 with Good Quality Like Vegas Video 5 or Adobe Premier But these Programs are Very expensive ,Like twice as Much as the ADVC-100 costs and if you are Doing VHS Captures then you will Not really need to do much editing so getting one of this High end Editing Programs is a bit of a waste....

the Good Thing about use Tmpgenc to encode and DVDLab to author to DVD is that you can use Both of them for 30 days for free so you can try them and see if you Like the Results before spending a penny....

Cheers

5. arunc

arunc Member

Thanks for this help. It really helps.

Do I have to buy "Scenalyzer Live" to use it for this purpose or will the trial version be sufficient?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t Know if Scenalyzer Live works as a Trial version or Not as I have the Full version But never use it because it only captures DV from Camcorders or from Analogue/Digital Converters and I don"t have one at the Moment..I just have a Basic Analogue Capture device Right now...

There are Freeware DV Capture programs Like WinDV and DVIO , They are very Basic But work well....

Cheers

7. arunc

arunc Member

Is Premiere very easy to use with the ADVC-100? How should the capturing and subsequent editing be done (in what modes with the program)? Please advise on its use.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Nothing is easy to use with Adobe Premier...
    Premier is an extremely Complex Editing program, They even Have University Cources on how to use Premier....

I would suggest you Try something easier as It would take me a year just to explain how to use it....

Why can"t you use the Other Programs that were suggested to you??

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Nothing is easy to use with Adobe Premier...
    Premier is an extremely Complex Editing program, They even Have University Cources on how to use Premier....

I would suggest you Try something easier as It would take me a year just to explain how to use it....

Why can"t you use the Other Programs that were suggested to you??

10. arunc

arunc Member

Is there any real difference between the ADVC 100 and ADVC 110 in terms of features? I see both are available.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t know that Much about the ADVC-110 because it is a fairly new product but if you go to the canopus web site it will have all of the Features of each device listed so you can see which one is better for you ..I believe they are Very Simular In Features....

Cheers