1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Canopus AVDC 100/110

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by arunc, May 2, 2005.

1. Minion

Minion Senior member

I can not tell you if Adobe Premier elements will re-encode the file or not...It shouldn"t but so shouldn"t most programs that do...

DVDLab will have better menu features and will make a nicer looking DVD so Maybe try that cuz you can download the demo version and Use for 30 days.....Cheers

2. rdgb28

rdgb28 Member

But will that take a 4 or 5 GB .vob file and correctly put it back into the 1 GB components?

(This is the project where I concatenate 3 DVD .vob files via the binary copy command to make one big file to edit down to 2 hours of content, or whatever fits on one DVD5.)

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes.....

4. rdgb28

rdgb28 Member

Looking into the details more, using BitRate Viewer, I find that the bitrates of the VOB files on the first DVD, the main 2 hours, average, per DVD-lab, 4680, 4730, 4740, 4840, and on the second DVD, the remaining 20 min. 9620 and 4840

(Why is this different from that separate Bitrate Viewer program, that would cost $30, which gave the figures 4037, 4083, 4101, 4368, then 8645 and 8550?)

I've downloaded MPRG-VCR, MPEG Video Wizard, along with DVD-lab. One of the tutorials for DVD-lab had it bringing in and joining VOB files.
    Should I use that rather than the copy /b command? And which option do I want?

Would having these different bitrates create a problem if left untouched, or would I need to get the 8000 files down to 4000 to match the others? (If that section simply is going to look better and use up space faster, that is not a problem.)

My goal is to use MPEG-VCR to clip out enough time to allow to let the content fit one DVD-5. It doesn't even need to have a menu, like the tip in DVD-lab says.

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  5. rdgb28

rdgb28 Member

Would the Capture from video device task in XPSP2's Movie Maker 2.1 do an adequate job of just capturing?

6. rdgb28

rdgb28 Member

Minion, another question arises out of trying to get DVD-lab to simply take [bold]one[/bold] of those .VOB files and compile a DVD from it. Either DVD-lab gives an error message, or even crashes.

A quick testing in MPEG-VCR shows it demuxes much faster, but it also found an audio PTS error on one of the files tested with the "MPEG Video GOP Fixer".

Checking [bold]all[/bold] the files finds that they [bold]all[/bold] have Audio PTS errors, typically half the number of frames. I.e., if there are 50,000 frames in the .VOB, there are 25,000 PTS errors.

But, MPEG Video Wizard's same tool finds [bold]no[/bold] errors in the same files, so I wonder what the real situation is.

But, DVD-lab also has its fixing operations, e.g. "Fix stream headers" , "Rewrite GOP timecodes", and "Frame Indexing".

Would it be better to fix them first with MPEG-VCR, then work on them with DVD-lab, or let DVD-lab do the fixing? (But maybe it can't even bring the .VOB file in far enough to work with it ....

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  7. mikevio

mikevio Member

This thread has helped me a lot. Thank you. What do you think the best capture software is to use with the AVDC-110. I am awaiting my unit now. Wondering if there is any better way to capture rather than raw AVI or DV-AVI that doesn't take quite that much space. Any suggestions?

I use Womble Video Wizard and it works great but it doesn't want to open AVI files. I need to encode them to mpeg. Anyone know of any codec that will help this?

Thanks,
    Mike

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you Could Capture in Movie Maker as Long as you Capture to DV AVI format and not WMV....