1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with cd/dvd copying policy for work.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by menz83, Feb 14, 2007.

1. menz83

menz83 Member

Hey, so after reading through some policies and procedures at work, I came across one involving the copying of cd's and dvd's which I thought was wrong. I work in residential childcare for my local authority and have now been nominated to make changes or even re-write the policy. I have been doing some research but havent come up with any concrete answers so I thought id ask u guys for help.

To begin with, here's my works current policy:

"CD's

Most copyright agreements allow 'burning' of up to 2 backup copies of CD's in case of damage.

In Europe, CD's borrowed from a friend may be copied. This is for personal use, not buying or selling

DVD's/Videos

It is illegal to knowingly play, copy or sell pirate DVD's videos etc and people can be prosecuted."

In the UK, I know its illegal to copy your CD's on to your mp3 player or any other medium, this is why I thought this was flawed. Also, to copy a CD and give them to your friends or allow them to copy them is surely distrubution?

The DVD section is a little vague and im not 100% sure on it. I do know it is illegal to copy them as you will be breaking any copy protection schemes in place.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Im not trying to be a dick about this to my colleagues, im trying to protect them as they often copy cd's etc to the young people they are working with. If this is illegal then surely it is a sackable offence so I wouldnt wany anyone to get in any trouble :)

Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what country are you in?

3. menz83

menz83 Member

Sorry, UK

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

than check with the uk laws as there has been a change about being able to copy cd/dvd or something about that.

5. menz83

menz83 Member

Im pretty sure it has only been discussed and no changes have been made as of yet. I check the BBC news site saily and I havent come across any changes yet.

The discussion was about a law from 1710. It basically makes it illegal to copy your cd's on to an mp3 player or any other medium. As far as I know, CD to CD is ok for personal use, but im not entirely sure. The British Phonographic Industry have stated that they will not prosecuted anyone who copy's their cd collection to mp3 players as they admit that the law is seriously outdated.