1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with choosing proper bitrate during conversions

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mgray69, Nov 16, 2007.

1. mgray69

mgray69 Member

I'm converting some of my random internet video clips of different formats(.avi, .mpg, .asf, .mov...etc) to put on my ipod. I'm using the program "Super" to do my conversions, but this question is general in nature.

I want to choose the proper output bitrate to match the input so as to not lose quality or gain unnecessary file size. But I'm not sure if the bitrate means the same for the different formats. I'm converting to h.264/AVC (is that the best for iPod??)so I'm not sure if matching the same bitrate means the same. In other words does an .avi file with a bitrate of xxx mean the same type of quality when converted to h.264/AVC with the same bitrate? Because I've noticed that when I convert some files the end file is substantialy larger than the original.

Also I dont really have a way of finding out what the original bitrate is, other than playing the file thru quicktime and checking the info. But obviously not all files play or tell the bitrate.

Thanks

2. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

2 free programs to tell you what you're starting with: GSpot and AVICodec. They both can tell you frame size, bitrate, codec used, etc. As to what bitrate to re-encode to, take a 30 second clip and experiment. I certainly can't tell what quality is 'satisfactory' for you. PS, I'd dump Quacktime if I were you and use Media Player Classic (with FFDShow)or VLC as a player.

3. mgray69

mgray69 Member

Hey thanks for the relpy. I know I can convert and compare but that seems like a teadeous task for me right now seeing as I'm having time issues (not much!lol). I'm not really picky, but since these videos are pretty bad to begin I'd rather not deteriate them further.

I'd like to just learn if the input and output bitrate should be the same when changing formats and just stick to a rule.

Thanks again