1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with choosing the right DVD Burner...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ECMoney, Dec 2, 2003.

1. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

Hey Everyone, my girlfriend is going to buy me a DVD Burner for Christmas and I just need some help with selecting the right one. All I am going to do is burn DVD's that I have already made on my DVD recorder and also burn xbox/playstation 2 games. I was thinking about getting the Sony DRU-510A as it records in both media formats. Is there a better drive that I should be looking into? What currently is the fastest DVD burner out there, is there an 8x burner yet? Can someone please keep me posted when you get a chance. Thanks!

2. RFLAIR28

RFLAIR28 Member

I need help with this from the experts as well. I would like to buy my old man a dvd burner for Christmas. He will mainly use it for burning movies. What would you recommend?

3. thursday

thursday Member

i would look into the TDK 440N it is also a dual format recorder i personally just ordered it from here and from what i have read is a very good recorder but its all up to you and yes there is a 8x made by plextor i think........heres the link to the TDK http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=576477&sku=T14-2100 P

P.S. if your going to be burning games you dont want your dvd burner to burn at its fastest speed you want it at 1 or 2 speed

4. Rip&Burn

Rip&Burn Member

I have the TDK INDI 440n and it has performed flawlessly. There is also a $30.00 rebate at Staples right now on this Model ending Jan 1st 04. The price was $179.99-$30.00 Manufacturere rebate. $150.00 for this dvd writer was a steal considering it was over $300.00 just a little while ago. Hope this helped....

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you have the money, the Plextor 708A is dual-format and can burn 8X with +R even with some types rated for 4X. The reviews have been very favorable and the quality is there - it's a Plexie. I'm still waiting for my finances to allow me to get one!

The Pioneer 106 can be had for a good price and is a quality drive as well.

6. skuby

skuby Member

I am here to praise the plex 708, i have only made a few DVDs but this thing has been writing on my tdk dvd+r's at 6X!!! They are only labeled as 4X so I'm happy. Only one coaster yet and that was my first attempt. My 2 year old living room DVD player only likes the -R's and my bedroom the +R's, so I gotta figure out something for that.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, Go to www.dvdrhelp.com They list Burners with media compatability and comments from owners on each. may help you make a choice. Mine is a Memorex dual format burner. It replaced a HP 200i
    single format +R drive. Both work great for me.
    Jerry