1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with cleaning registry, slowdowns, ect - need alternative to formatting, need to fix slowdown.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Pnknjnk, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

Alright, so my friend is dead-set that I need to format, but if I format, I'd have to back up about 100Gigs of general crap I don't want to have to redownload.

Looking for free registry cleaners, or anything of the sort is definately the hay in the needlestack.

Basically, since I've gotten this PC, I've experienced greater and greater slowdown, regardless of my RAM upgrade, for reasons unknown. I try to have few processes running besides whats required (although quite a few processes running I can't figure out what they're doing, and they're using up a shitload of memory, scanningprocess.exe is running twice, and I cannot end it, and it's using up a lot...)
    The worst part about these slowdowns is that my internet connection runs like a modem, but only on this PC. my other PCs hooked up to the same router go fast as a dream. This one, my main PC, experiences constant lag spikes about every 1 and a half second when trying to play a game, or just browsing.

Another problem that arose is that I no longer know my administrative password. This computer was built for me by my uncle, and he made it something stupid and hard to remember, and I lost the document with the password in it, so that's prevented me from doing some things I'd like to do.

Any solution to these problems would be greeeaaaatly appreciated.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

you can speed up startup times and general usage by ending alot of unnecessary processes on startp. type msconfig then go to the startup tab and unclick all the thing that dont need to run. then go to services and down at the bottom click hide all microsoft services. lick it then uncheck the processes you dont need. then goto add and remove programs. just go through and get rid of old junk that you dont need. and for your pass word you should get hirens boot cd. there is a program called active password changer that can reset you password.

3. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

I used MSconfig to end many startup tasks. As for changing services, no matter what it tells me access is denied when I try to edit the services. (That's why I wanted a way to clear my admin pass)

Add/remove was taken care of, also.

I've done basic things like this, and the obnoxious and horrible lag shit continues. That's why I've come to ask for help.

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

well then use hirens boot cd to reset the password then go into the admin profile and edit msconfig

5. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

Will do. However, additional help would be nice, as I don't know if that will exactly fix everything. :p

6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

to clean your registry stick the disc in while windows is loaded and click the registry optimizer. to reset your password you will need to restart your computer and boot with the cd then select the password reset program and it should guide you through that.

7. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

that little guy is pretty useful, huh? THanks, I'll get it right now and try it. I hope it's small.

8. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

I found his page but there is no goddamn download anywhere on it, just alot of info

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

well did you get the pm i sent you with the link?

10. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Right here, but no download.
    Also, is there a way to edit posts? I can't find one.

I also can't find a GODDAMN DOWNLOAD ON THAT PAGE

EDIT
    Found the edit button... I don't know how to check PMs. XD
    I don't know if I got it, I'll try and check

EDIT

I figured it out. Thanks, I"ll start downloading it... I wonder why he doesn't have a download of it on his frontpage?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  11. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

the link i gave you was for a torrent file so make sure you know how to use it

12. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

haha, yes, I do. I may sound stupid, but I'm not. and it actually just finished. fastest torrent I've ever had - 150KBPS.

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ya the torrent had 255 seeders.

14. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

yeah, and it's awesome. I wish other stuff had so many seeds.

But yeah, I'm using it to do a bunch of things, and so far, so good. I've defragmented system files and startup files, and cleaned my registry, and it booted in about 30 seconds, instead of 5 minutes. A wonderful tool. I'll let you know if other problems arise, or any other questions I have, but otherwise, thank your for this amazing tool.

15. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

your welcome. glad to help