1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP with copying problem....PLEASE

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dondie, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Dondie

Dondie Member

I bought a new p.c recently and want to copy my dvd collection. I use Recordnow dx and DVD Shrink, I have followed the instructions from the forums but when the disc has finished being copied it will only play through Power DVD. My stand alone dvd player will not accept the dvd-rw.Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Dondi,

Looks like you're doing it all fine -

Your only mistake is using RW media - standalone players hate that stuff - feed them single +R or -R media and everyone will be happy :))

Pete

3. Dondie

Dondie Member

Thanks Pete but the dvd player plays dvd-rw's and when I try to copy it onto a dvd-r it won't play it still.I'm not sure if I need to use something else to get round the copyright!? Have you get any other ideas I'm really beginning to wish I'd never started this, but I will not be beaten or get downhearted :-(
    Dondie

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Welcome....

We need to know several factors to ascertain which area is causing you the problem...

Is it Dvd Shrink you are having problems with or Recordnow DX????????

From your post you have stated that your player will not accept them....However the burning software IS completing the burn successfully without bombing out.....

So I have to assume you are using Dvd Shrink correctly!!!!!!

Therefore what you are left with (after using Dvd Shrink) is a folder called VIDEO_TS (in uppercase) and within that folder resides a whole bunch of files.
    It may also be that you have not got ALL the correct files present.
    Worth checking as you haven't mentioned what files are present in the VIDEO_TS folder.
    They should be similar to the following:(MOVIE ONLY)

VIDEO_TS.ifo
    VIDEO_TS.bup
    VTS_01.0.ifo
    VTS_01.0.bup
    VTS_01.1.vob
    VTS_01.2.vob
    VTS_01.3.vob
    VTS_01.4.vob
    VTS_01.5.vob

If you have done a full disc though, you will have several more VTS files and a VIDEO_TS.IFO/BUP/VOB aswell as the above.

Now if the above is similar to what you have, we can then assume that Dvd Shrink HAS prepared a dvd compliant folder.

So therefore you have a problem with Recordnow DX...

The settings in Recordnow are fairly easy when you know, so if you want, click on the following to view my guide - http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/recordnowmax.htm

Powerdvd, will generally play anything you throw in it, however standalones DO require the dvd video to be formatted in a specific way.....

Certain options are in Recordnow that should be checked in order to produce the correct dvd video format...

All of these settings are highlighted in the guide......

If you have any Q's let us know, but include specifics re:the guide, and we can help you out....

When you succeed, you shall be on your way and you'll be posting replies to help others out who are in similar positions..........

Hope this helps.....

5. Dondie

Dondie Member

baabaa,
    I think the problem is with Recordnowdx.I have shrunk into a VIDEO_TS folder the following(in order in file),VIDEO_TS.BUP,VIDEO_IFO,VTS_01_0.BUP,VTS_01_0.IFO,VTS_01_1,VTS_01_2,VTS_01_3,VTS_01_4,VTS_01_5.
    I have printed nd double checked the recordnow instructions(I was right the first time). I have copied copies which play ok on my standalones. The new dvd player manual says it may not be playing it if it's not finalized, but I follow the instructions to the letter and it still won't play. I have tried various different dvd-r and dvd-rw media. I am running out of media and patience.... please help this damsel in much distress!!

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Dondi,

Hi there, me again -

I’d like you to try something different if you will. Since you are already using DVDShrink, all I want you to do is to upgrade to the DVDShrink 3.1.3 version. It will do what you are used too plus it will burn your disc when you go to do “Backup”. The new Shrink will make sure all your files are ready and in their proper folder and, by burning it also should eliminate the possibility of a human error.

Here is Shrink -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

The way it does that is that it goes behind the scenes and joins up with a burning program and then uses that to fry your disc when you hit the “Backup” key. I don’t know if it works with RecordNow DX or not so what I want you to do is download Nero, here is the link -

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

If you already have Nero, do nothing :0 If not, don’t worry, there is nothing you have to do except put Nero on your system and Shrink will do the rest.

What we are doing is removing a step in your process, no place to make a mistake in the burn area :D

Now, if you still have a problem we’ll know it isn’t in this area :)

Lastly, could you recheck your player’s compatibility with the media you are using ?
    Try going here - ->
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Let us know how you made out, OK ?

Pete

(Hi Ya, baabaa, haven’t seen ya ‘round the ole’ water cooler :)

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

HeeHee, ayup scuba....Baabaa's been drinking from the penthouse of a ewe's suite.........and is VERY tired (wink/wink, Baa! Baa!)

Dondie

I take it Recordnow IS completing the burn process then?

You are not receiving a RED VIDEO_TS folder in the data burn screen are you?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  8. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

check the compatability like scuba pete said but also look at what formats your dvd player will play, check a couple of sites and make sure your manf and model# states that it will read dvd-r or +r.I know i have a panasonic and it only likes a couple of manf of dvd media.Try the disk in a friends and go to a store and try a couple and see what happins.good luck

9. Dondie

Dondie Member

SUCCESS!!! The problem is with Recordnow dx, followed your advice and downloaded Nero6 and breezed through it. I shall now be buying Nero6 and forgetting recordnow. You guys are amazing you kept me sane and were a great help. If I have any problems when I get Nero I know where to come. THANK YOU SO MUCH... YOU'RE THE BEST
    Dondie

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Nice to hear your on your way with Nero.....

Could you post what version and type of Recordnow DX you used and had trouble with?
    ie Veritas version 4.5 etc......

Also what burner you are using

For some reason, several people have had issues with Recordnow DX,(maybe player related but unsure) so I am compiling a list of burners/Recordnow DX type and version to see if there are some common elements, and maybe get the writers of the software to investigate where the problem lies.......thanks in advance.....

Good luck......

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Aaauuuhh, Dondie, you BE da girl, see what you can do ?

We're sooo proud of you :)

BaaBaa, sorry my friend, I know how you like that RecordNow.

I was going to give it a try to see how it worked out compared to Nero or my CloneDVD but now I'm going to hang on to my money, for alittle more time at least :)

Pete

12. Dondie

Dondie Member

I have a Pioneer DVR-105 and Sonic Recordnow dx( the latest version).Thanks again to you all for your help.
    Dondie

13. Dondie

Dondie Member

Sorry to build your hopes up. I have managed to copy direct to dvd-rw but now get an error when copying from that dvd-rw to a dvd-r, any ideas????
    Thanks,
    Dondie

14. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

What process are you using to burn from the RW copy to the -R copy?

I take it youre not putting it through Shrink again although that wouldn't necessarily mean it would go wrong....

I thought I had this copying lark sussed and had a few minor set-backs like you (and I probably will still get them).

let us know how you are copying this time round and maybe someone here can give you an answer.

15. Dondie

Dondie Member

I am trying to copy disc to disc. I have tried on Nero and Recordnow dx and made another coaster!
    On Recordnow dx there is a test and if ok record choice is there one of these with Nero? this could stop more coasters.
    Thanks
    Dondie

16. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

What I would do is copy the files from your RW to your hard drive in a new folder called VIDEO_TS. Only copy the video_ts file and not the audio_ts folder in the copied disc.

Then follow Chris McCanns tutorial on burning with Nero using the DVD ROM UDF/ISO format.

I find it easier and less strain on the drive than copying disc-to-disc.

Hope you understand these brief instructions

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Thanks for that dondie, just what I was after.......

Supported drive via Recordnow BUT the Sonic version.....

There seems to be a slight problem with the Sonic version......puzzling....now I can make some enquiries....cheers......

RE: your on the fly issue....

Now you know your burning method is up and running, you can ditch the rw and burn directly to r......
    Or....
    Some system configurations may not allow disc to disc burning due to buffering issues....

However, I found that Nero and Recordnow would not work (in my system, not a rule of thumb) for disc to disc transfer when the reader and writer were located on the same IDE port......it maybe worth just checking your configuration and see by altering it if it helps.

ie. Dvdrom - Primary IDE as slave
    Dvdwriter - Secondary IDE as slave

However, as welshboa stated, you WILL be better to transfer the rw to HD first........higher rate of a solid data transfer......

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Dondie,

Jumpin' in again :)

Burn your files back to your HD. Make a folder first with the name of your movie then try the following -

Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on the DVD Video Icon. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the DVDShrink folder holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “Burn” and Baby, Burn ! Tell it to me, Who’s your Daddy Now ???

(Wheeew, Now I need a cigarette)

Guess what my Friend ??

Go watch some TV, call your mother (It’s been awhile since she’s heard from you, don’t ya know? J) You are done !!!
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Mr. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she’s working – it would be a health thing, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done she will let you know ;-))

Enjoy, “P”

19. Dondie

Dondie Member

Hello all,
    Sorry it's been a while but I only got a week free trial of Nero so I've been waiting for my own copy to be delivered. I tried doing as you suggested but it keeps telling me the disc is too small. I used shrink, and copied the disc then tried to use the files from the folder to copy the dvd again and then hit the wall :-( What am I missing??
    Thanks,
    Dondie