1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! with drive speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gavindoc, Jan 7, 2005.

1. gavindoc

gavindoc Member

Hello, I have now tried several different discs all labelled at 1-4x and the drive will not let me burn less than 4x. I have latest firmware installed and in the manual it is stated that drive supports 1x-16x. The reason I want to burn slower is that discs skip in dvd player. If burned in my dad's burner in office (which allows 1x and 2x) they play flawlessly in our player. Please help as I am really upset as sole reason for burner was for movie backups:(

The drive is a Sony DRX-710UL with latest firmware BYX2.

Thanks in advance

2. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

what software are you using to try to do these backups ? software like nero recode2 and clonedvd2 give the option to select the burn speed . more info is needed in order to help you correctly

3. gavindoc

gavindoc Member

Thxs for replying. I am using Nero Burning Rom 6 SE that came with sony burner to burn disks that shrink has made. The only features missing from this are the ability to write to multiple recorders at once which I wouln't be doing, a virus checker and cross fade so I don't think I will be upgrading to full one :) In the drop down box the only options are 4x and up if disc supports above 4x. If it is a 1-4x disc then my only option is 4x.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

it looks like you are out of luck with nero . but that doesnt mean you are out of options here . it seems many others have the same problem with not being able to slow the burn speed down with nero . here is something you can try and its free so it wont cost you anything to give it try . download and install decrypter from here .
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm and here is the guide for burning with decrypter .
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm
    sorry i cant be more help . i noticed while reading the guide that decrypter gives you option to select the write speed . im not sure if this will work for you or not but its worth a try any how as i have seen many others here on afterdawn that use decrypter .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  5. gavindoc

gavindoc Member

OK, thxs very much. I used that and selected 1x but the write failed with an error that I VERY STUPIDLY clicked cancel on without writing down lol. Froze drive and I had to turn off. I tried at 2x and it went OK and played fine on player so hopefully that is it sorted :) Thanks for help

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im glad to hear you got it working thats good news . as always with backing up dvd's try to stick with good quality media . this will limit the chances of having play back issues like you described here in your first post .

7. micronia

micronia Member

I have been burning for awhile but recently started buying 8x medias (plus and minus both good and cheap brands). my NEC 2500A and 3500AG will not burn at 8x even thought the medias I used can go up to 12x. I was using Nero 6.3 and has ungraded to the latest version 6.x and got the same result. The clock on Nero ran out and it appeared it is only burning at about 5x. The clock worked correctly on 4x or when I set to burn at 4x. I increased the cache size on the Nero perference tab to max. and it did not help. I noticed the HD are caching alot during burn. Rebooting did not help. I have Maxtor ATA 133 drives and my MB supports ATA133. The HD are set at DMA mode 6 while the burners are DMA mode 2. So the only thing I can think of is the IDE chipset is going bad. I tried to add another DIMM to make it 1Gb from 512. But this MB crashes with additional DIMM. before I will pull the MB, I am wondering if anyone here can provide some helps.

P4 - 2.66
    ECS L4VXA2
    Samsung 512 PC3000 DDR
    Win XP Pro
    Maxtor 200 and 300Gb drives
    NEC 2500A and NEC 3500AG
    Nero 6.6