1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with dual booting....plz help ASAP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by wabashman, Apr 4, 2007.

1. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ok, so im dual booting with xp and vista ultimate. however my cd drives are acting up so i thought i would update the fw on them in xp. so i changed my default OS in vista to xp so it would get into xp. now when im in xp it doesnt give me the option to change my defualt to visita. also, when it gets the prompt to select what OS i want, xp or vista, i cant move the cursor at all. tried it with the up down arrows, left right, alt, tab, everything. please help me figure this out ASAP.

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Once you chose to dual boot with Vista, Vista took over as the primary OS in control of the boot files.

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ok, but right now xp boots everytime, and doesnt allow me to choose the vista boot option. so how do i make xp let me choose this option. im almost at the point to copy everything of importance on the vista drive over to my external, and reinstal vista, then just move the program files, and all that back onto the fresh installed vista drive.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Techrepublic,cnet and zdnet have articles on how to configure dual booting vista with xp

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Dual-Booting Vista and XP*

Are you wanting to try Vista, but don't want (or are not ready to) to give up on XP? Then dual booting XP and Vista is a possible solution for you. Ready to install it?
    Before progressing, let's assume you have read (and understand) the instructions about installing Vista on a home computer. It will also be assumed that you have backed up all your important data as well.

Upgrade or Dual-boot?

While Vista can upgrade your current version of XP, you may wish to try a dual-boot configuration. This leaves your XP installation alone and installs Vista in another partition, either an existing one or one you will create just for Vista. Now Vista comes with it's own partitioning tools that can be accessed during setup as run from the Vista bootable DVD. I have never used these myself, preferring Acronis Disk Director to manage my partitions. whatever tool you prefer, you will need a good sized partition, at least 15GB or more, depending on how many programs you will install in Vista later.

Once you have your partition, you can install Vista in one of 2 ways: either start the install from within XP (telling Vista to not perform an upgrade) or you can boot with the Vista DVD, making sure that your BIOS is configured to boot your DVD drive before the hard drive. I prefer to boot from the DVD.

Vista's installation program is fairly straightforward, and if you have installed XP from scratch before, Vista's initial setup screens will be quite familiar. You are presented with a list of partitions to chose from, and once you choose the partition, if you would like to format it or not.

Once Vista is installed, you will notice a boring black & white text screen that presents itself when the PC is restarted. This is Vista's boot manager. You have about 30 seconds to choose between "Earlier version of Windows" (that would be XP) and "Microsoft Windows" (that would be Vista):

go here for more info
    http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm

or here
    http://muckyfeet.com/2006-dual-xp-vista-install/