1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Extras deletion on dvd please!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by apostle, Apr 17, 2003.

1. apostle

apostle Guest

Hi,
    Sorry to be a newbie but this is my first disc backup.
    I ripped all the files from a 6.5 gb dvd, and deleted a couple of the extra vobs that were not the movie to fit it on one disc. (I still have a backup of all the files on my pc)
    I burnt the files using nero in the video_ts folder (nero gave me a warning about the files, im guessing because id deleted a couple of the vobs) onto a dvd+r.
    Now i'm trying to play the disc (which works on my pc) on my dvd player which is supposed to play dvd+r's but the disc wont do anything except show the paramount pegassus bit then stops.
    Should i have replaced the vobs with dummys? Or done something to the file structures e.g adjusted the ifo files or something? Or should the disc have worked?

Please any help would be appreciated as i dont want to burn another disc to be wasted.

Cheers.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Rip movie:
    Smartripper to rip & unencrypt...it will select the main movie for you but you need to check the box 2 above the 4or5 highlighted...then select destination folder...and then start!

DVD2One:
    Movie-Only Mode...Set size to 4272Mb...select Smartripper files as SOURCE & set a destination.Next choose title set...something like 1:42:56 (the longest in time anyway)...next AC3 6CH [audio] .. English [or whatever subs you need]..angle 1
    DVD2One will during compression create needed .BUP file(s)

Nero...Now in Nero you should get no warning that your file types are incorrect.
    Click on red VIDEO_TS folder.
    Just drag & drop all the files in DVD2One folder (whatever u titled it) into there & burn baby burn !!...without multi-session <--

[bold]Enjoy ; ) [/bold]

3. apostle

apostle Guest

i know how to do that herbsman, i wanted to keep the menu and the other extras which the disc has left once the size is right. I think i missed one step:
    After i delete the vob files should i use ifoedit to GET VTS SECTORS? Will this then produce a fully functioning dvd to play on set-top players?

cheers

4. herbsman

Sorry I meant to write FULL-DISK Mode in DVD2One v.1.11 or 1.12 (that will keep menu & extras although the quality of extras might not be up to main movie...this will probably updated if poss in future versions of DVD2One no doubt).

5. herbsman

This thread: Help with Extras deletion on dvd please!

6. apostle

apostle Guest

No sorry, i know you are being helpful but you don't seem to understand what i have written. I backed up all the files, then deleted a couple of vobs with some of the extras. The menu, the movie and other extras are still present which i want to keep. I just deleted the biggest extras to fit it on one disc. My question wasn't how do i back up just the movie or the whole movie via recompression, i know how to do that. What i want to do is as i said, delete a couple of vobs. I need to know what i need to do the the files after i have deleted the vobs with some not all of the extras. My current thinking is that all i need to do is do GET VTS SECTORS in IFOEDIT. Am i right in this assumption or do i need to do other things?

p.s. by quoting me saying i want to keep the menu and other extras then referring to my thread title as if it is incorrect is wrong. I DO want to delete some vobs. But i also want to keep the remaining menu and other extras as i already said. If anyone else actually understands me please can u help.

7. herbsman

hahaha ok
    I understand now...

this has been explained in other threads yeah (although I believe the question was put a little better)

[bold]happy hunting [/bold]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2003
  8. apostle

apostle Guest

What's your problem being aggressive? I've looked for the answer in other threads with the search function and obviously didn't find an answer. If i could have found one i wouldn't have bothered asking for help. My understanding was that this section of the forum was for newbies to ask for help. And what was the point in you wasting the time to reply if only to say, go look eh? Why not give me a simple explanation as to what i'm doing wrong? I asked if all i need to do is to use GET VTS SECTORS. You could at least have put YES or NO.
    If anyone else can help i'd appreciate it.

9. herbsman

errr..NO

It is a little more compliacted than that.
    I forget where the guide for IfoEdit/Vobedit site is...anymore

If you did search...OK!
    You'd be surprised how many ppl do not though
    (it seems much easier to start a new thread)

Aggressive ?? How can you be aggressive through type ?: )

10. smg

smg Regular member

I only understand tis part.
    1. I rip the whole movie (I will be using RecordNowMax and DVDDecrypter) and it will copy all the files to my pc.
    2. Now, I totally didn't understand what you said about deleting the 2X Box and 4 or 5 highlited thing. If you could list it as it would actually look like on my monitor and then maybe type next to those files that I should deleted (like typing delete) that would help ALOT. Naturally I don't want any extras what-so-ever. Just the movie. I don't even want the ending credits if it will give me a better picture quality (which is what I have heard.
    Thanks Herbsman for your help if you don't mind.

11. herbsman

I use a different method , Smartripper is my preffered choice to rip/unencrypt but Decrypter is just as good.
    The tick the box 2 above the main 4 or 5 .VOB files would only apply to Smartripper way.
    DVD Decrypter in settings choose MOVIE-ONLY and rip/unencrypt...it's that easy.
    Then you want to run these files through DVD2One v.1.11 or 1.12 OR DVD Shrink.This will add the .BUP file (s) that is missing.You'll be using either of these progs to compress files down to 4.36Gb ready for DVD-R (+R)

A typical VIDEO_ST folder of a DVD is similar to :

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,073,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 6,014,976

VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824 above would be the 2 above main movie you'd need to select if using Smartripper way.

Hope I've clarified a few things for ya : )

12. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

13. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks Herbs
    That helped ALOT. I am writing everything down so I can create a booklet for burning from A to Z for my own use in getting me thru the whole process with a perfect burn. I got the 2 above thing now (thanks to your diagram). But I noticed that the file right above the main movie was kinda large also (albeit not as large as the main movie files). How did you know that that file was not also part of the movie?
    Always greatful for your help.

14. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

smg

you need to check out the DVDShrink guide here and you will realise how easy it is. You don't even have to rip the DVD. You just tell it which part of the movie you want and that's it

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

it will tell you exactly what to do in the simplest of terms

p.s. site is down at the moment but keep checking it

15. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks Mack. I am going to download the Shrink.

16. smg

smg Regular member

I downloaded DVDShrink (or so my pc said = Download complete) However, after trying to download it 3 times. I can't seem to get it to go into My Documents (which is where I downloaded it to ie Save To Disk, then Save In My Documents). And nothing. It's not there. Am I doing something wrong? I had downloaded it before and it downloaded as a zip file (whatever that means) but when I tried to open it (I used Adobe Acrobat as 5.1) I couldn't get it to open up. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks (especially to Herbs and Mack for your help in the past and wizkid also)

17. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

Go to www.download.com and get the latest version of winzip for free. It is supposed to be a free 30 day trial but I've been running it free for four months! This will effortlessly open all you zip files and ask you where you want them etc. Once you have opened the zip contents move the exe file to desktop then double click to open it and bingo you have DVD Shrink installed! This will not appear as a full programme on you file list but who cares it works!

18. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks Mike. I hope my download manager wont screw it up for me again.

19. MNMovie

MNMovie Member

smg,

Just to reiterate what MackemX said...

I had been burning DVDs to SVCD for about a year, but recently downloaded DVDShrink. Cannot say enough good things about this program. So simple and fast to use. Basically two steps. Rip & Burn. Start to finish process is only about 90 minutes or less. Will take most DVD movies and burn to *1* blank 4.7 gig disk. It keeps all of the menus and extras. Audio and Video are great! Some disks (e.g. Titanic) may be so big that you need to "manually" trim out some extras (like other language tracks) to get them to fit on one disk, but I've only run into a few that required me to do that. I then use Nero version 5.5.10.20 to burn them. I have turned 3 others onto DVDShrink, and none of us has yet made any coasters.

BTW, Dr. Mercury's site (http://www.svcd.cc/) has some great tutorials, with screen captures, on how to use DVDShrink (among many other things). It is well worth a donation.

And while I know that it is off topic (please don't flame me), I notice a lot off discussion about tabletop DVD players. I just picked another DVD player (my 7th) at Wally Mart. The Pioneer DV-250 for $79. It successfully plays my VCD, SVCD, DVD+R and DVD+RW disks (and plays MP3 files too). Has component video & S-video out, optical and coaxial audio also. Nice remote and many features. A great buy!

Just my 2 cents. Hope it can help.

20. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks alot guys for your help. It is really appreciated. I wish I could return the favor, but being the newest of newbies I am just above brain dead status :)