1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with ffdshow codec in order to play h.264 avi

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by katydidit, May 30, 2009.

1. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi Members:

I have a few H.264 avi videos I'd like to watch in Windows Media Player 11. I gather from the guidelines below I need the FFDShow Mpeg-4 codec.

Guidelines on How to Play H.264 here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_h264_avc_files.cfm

Before I download anymore codec. What program is the best to identify what I currently have on my computer system. Do I use GSpot, AVIcodec, Sherlock The Codec Detective, etc.

Secondly, I just read the guidelines for FFDShow here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/ffdshow_install_configure.cfm

and they are complicated.

I have existing codec on my system for a number of different programmes and players.

What are the necessary check boxes that apply to this particular codec -- FFDShow Mpeg-4. Trying to avoid conflicts with other programmes,etc.

Help is definitely appreciated,

katy

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Gspot is small foot print and handy to keep on the system.

Regarding enabling H264 in FFDshow, it's quite simple.
    Open the FFDshow video decoder config.
    Select codecs, top left.
    Then to the right of that find H264/AVC and change the decoder to
    libavcodec.
    An alternative is Coreavc, @ $7.95 - may be worth it,
    it's faster than FFDshow.
    http://www.coreavc.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

3. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi davexnet:

Many thanks for all the info. Somewhat overwhelmed by the configurations for the FFDShow Mpeg-4. Even with the guidelines I'm not too sure what codec I may or may not need.

Aside from codec, I'm having problems with both audio and video codecs and I don't know why! Trying to encode, watch, etc. I recently upgraded by Trend Micro PC-cillin from Dell 14 to Dell 16 and since that time my system has been acting weird.

I'm using DVD Fab 6 which includes: DVD to DVD, DVD to mobile, File to mobile. I've never had any problems with this software before.

It's the darnest thing ... I tried to view a video converted from mp4 to .avi today and it froze my whole computer. As well, my task manager said I was using about 50% CPU or more to access the internet when in actually fact I had nothing open or running on IE7 or Firefox?????

The problems started right after installing the new PC-cillin Dell 16.

What is the best forum to post this problem?

Thanks a bunch, katy

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I would post it in the Dell forums if I were you.
    They're more likely to have some expertise - since it's their stuff.

5. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hello davexnet:

Thanks again for the help with the correct codec for H.264. I really like the coreavc that you suggested. A lot simplier, up-to-date and fast.

katy

6. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi dave:

Well I'm back. I don't think the corevac will work because it is just H.264.

Therefore, as you recommended earlier, which of the FFDShow's do I download. There is a new Beta version but several for the month of May. The stable version is about three years old?

Going through my list I need: H.264/AVC/Mpeg-4

I gather this is what is does: DirectShow and Video for Windows codec with support for a wide range of audio and video formats, such as Xvid, DivX, and H.264.

I have a Windows XP Media Center 2005 (SP 3 up-to-date), etc. I'm always a little nervous with codec/decoders because of my experience with Media Center at the beginning. Had to remove everything that came with the system and purchase NVIDIA decoders for Media Center. They work terrific but it took a while to figure out.

Appreciate the help,

katy

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

FFDShow will work for a multitude of videos. If you have CoreAVC, then I would use that to play your mpeg4 AVC(H.264).

8. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hello cyprusrom:

Good to hear from you. I need the codec for not only H.264 but also AVC and MPEG-4 Visual so I gather the FFDShow would work the best.

On the download page for FFDShow it has many different versions. Which one do I download?

Thanks,

katy

9. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Katydidit:
    see this -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4

You will see that H264 and AVC are pretty much the same thing.

On the otherhand, mpeg-4 part 2, refers to the commonly used codecs
    such as divx and xvid, while mpeg-4 part 10 is H264/AVC.
    FFDSHOW can decode and encode all of these.

Hope this helps.

10. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi Dave:

Excellent article. I've been reading up on the FFDShow since your last post to me. Needed to understand all the codecs that fall within this particular container or package.

Truly appreciate your patience with a novice. There are just too many of the little suckers! It's a nightmare!

Now that I understand that part of it, on the download page it adds to the confusion with a whole pile of different versions to download. To I just pick the most recent (not beta) for my Windows XP Media Center -- I assume.

Thanks a big bunch,

katy

11. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Katy,
    not sure about all the facts, but it's my understanding that
    The original developer stopped working on it about 3 years ago.
    That's the last non-beta release. Shortly after, others picked it
    up, it's been continuous beta ever since! It doesn't mean much,
    beyond the fact that it's constantly tweaked and enhanced -
    However, there is scant details of the actual changes.

I'm running revision 2527, dated 2008 12-18, and it works just fine.
    I have Divx 6.85 installed also, and they live together
    pretty well.

12. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi Dave:

Oh dear, did I forget a codec. You mentioned that you have DivX 6.85. I think I can play DivX5, I don't know about 6 or greater.

I've got you notes for H.264 and how to set it up. Any other boxes I need to check off once I've downloaded the codec.

Thanks so much,

katy

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I know very little about H.264, but i do know that i can play H.264 videos fine. I have WMP 11 on my main PC but i don't like using WMP due to the way it communicates with Microsoft (and i especially don't like the way it seems to want a codec for almost every movie played on a on xbox 360 but i digress).
    I can play H.264 videos without WMP 11, thru Windows Media Classic, even in Windows 7 RC1. I have no idea what codecs H.264 actually needs, but on Windows 7 and all other machines i use the K-Lite Mega Codec pack so some codec or other provided by that ensures that H.264 plays.
    I don't use any other codecs/codec packs, and i have no problems whatsoever playing any types of video, apart from x.264, i always stay away from those.

14. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hello creaky:

How are you? I have Media Player Classic as well but it doesn't play any of these videos and use it frequently for real media files.

Sadly I had some major conflicts on my system with the K-Lite Mega Codec pack and Media Center 2005. That's why I've had to add codec in smaller packages.

Will add the FFDShow and see what happens.

Many thanks for the help and will keep you posted,

katy

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hi there, i'm good, hope you're well; now i remember you mentioning you'd had conflicts previously.
    I just fired up a H.264 movie and sure enough, 2 icons popped up in the system tray, FFDShow and Haali Media Splitter. I know that FFDShow is separately installable but don't know about Haali as i've only ever seen that mentioned with regards to the K-Lite packs.
    Hope that helps a little.

edit- clicking on the link that Afterdawn automatically adds to Haali in this post i see it's separately installable, i forgot that it was but seeing the link i remember now :)

16. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi creaky, dave and cyprus:

Well I installed the ffdshow codec and they are interferring with my Media Center 2005, SP3 since my new installation of the OP (had to replace my hard drive this past week).

I use NVIDIA Gold Decoders for Media 2005 and they work well. I needed the additional codec package for all other videos that don't play unless you have ffdshow.

I've followed the installation and set-up details here at AfterDawn:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/ffdshow_install_configure.cfm

These are excellent detailed instructions. Although my recent problem is a major conflict between ffdshow and Media Center.

I gather I need to add an exception and ask ffdshow to not interfere with Media Center.

What shell program or .exe to ask ffdshow to exclude?

Thanks, katy

17. lenord

lenord Guest

SPAM removed

Hi, katydidit! These 2 topics mybe help you solve your problems

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2009