1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Gaming on a p4 ????

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by premier99, Feb 1, 2004.

1. premier99

premier99 Member

I just built up my new computer i am running a 2.4GHZ P4 w/ FBS of 800mhz on a BIOSTAR p4vtb800 board. Video wise i have a 8x AGP GEFORCE FX5200 w/128MB. i have a 512MB stick of PC3200 DDR from CORSAIR and my o.s. is WIN XP. my problem is i cant play most 3D games. i bought diablo wont play, command and conquer wont play, rouge spear wont play. the only game that would play was a flight sim game. ive tried other agp video cards from ati ive tried pci cards from nvidia and nothing changed with the cards. My father in law as the 2.4GHZ Celeron and can play all my games fine. Can anyone help me game agian.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Try reinstalling DirectX. All of those games you listed require it. 9.0b is the latest version. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the video card.

If that don't work try to provide more info and maybe we can try to help. Just saying that it don't play doesn't give me much to go on - does it give any error messages, just go to a blank screen, etc?

3. premier99

premier99 Member

sorry it was late when i posted last nite but i do have direct x 9.0 and the latest greatest driver for my card. when the games die they typicaly freeze the screen and lock up the whole computer to the point (control alt delete)wont even work. on a few games the the game will start to boot then the screen flashes and goes back to the desktop

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Hard to say for sure since you said that this was a new computer you just built. Check the event log in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer and see if there is any errors there that would give a clue to what is going wrong.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like unstable ram hehe. Check for adequate coolage :) Oh and.... You may find that some games start up fine, play the intro movie and then suddenly crash. Microsoft has acknowledged this problem and released a fix for it, you can grab the fix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327979

6. premier99

premier99 Member

ok today i updated xp with mostly all of microsoft's recomended fixes, updated my drivers, and checked the event log still no luck. what did Praetor mean by unstable ram???

7. premier99

premier99 Member

well im making some bit of progress the stupidest thing that was stopping some of the games was my virtual memory was set at some obscence number. this has fixed quite a few but im still having trouble with c&c renegade it starts to install then dies about a min. in to the install. thank you everyone for helping me

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Try going into your BIOS and disabling the Quick POST Bootup thing and let it run through the memory checks :)

9. premier99

premier99 Member

no luck changed the bios yet no new info every thing check out ok what an optimal temp for memory i have a temp sensor i can hook it up to the heat sink on hte memory and see if its a cooling issue or my other thought was could i not have enough power i have a 350w power supply