1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Gone wrong softmod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Boopop, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Boopop

Boopop Member

Hi all.

First I used This tutorial to softmod my xbox. Then I used Xbox-board.de 's Ultimate Boot CD 4 to install some dashboards and XBMC. After telling it to install, I got several errors, and then it froze. I assumed it was writing to disk, so I left it for over 30 mins. Now, when I switch it on without the disc, I'm told my xbox needs servicing. However I can still boot the UBCD. It has an option to install ms dashboard, but it wants me to delete a folder before I can reinstall it. However it doesn't let me do that.

Any ideas, or have I just got a screwed xbox? Would it be possible to fix my xbox by plugging it into my PC again?

Thanks in advance, Boopop.

2. Boopop

Boopop Member

Update : I tried unlocking my hard disk, and then left it unlocked.Now i can't lock it again. Yup, upon further reading, that's quite a noobish mistake -_-. Oh well, I'll probably just buy a xecuter chip and a solderless adaptor if i can be bothered.

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

you have a backup of your eeprom.bin right? if not then you have to get a modchip, but if you do, just make you an xbox hard drive maker disc and lock it back with the eeprom.

4. Boopop

Boopop Member

I probably did backup eeprom while hot swapping, but, to cut a long story short, it got inadvertently deleted. I've ordered a a duo x2 mod chip anyway. I have a few questions about it.

Any tips for soldering it on? My soldering experience is a B in electronics at gcse :p

While the xbox hard disk is unlocked, would it be best to reset it to factory default using the hot swap method again, or should I leave it as it is (it currently opens one dashboard when using the power switch, and the ms dashboard when the eject is used to power up, if it worked).

Finally, what would be the simplest to relock the hard disk once i've installed the mod chip?

5. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

if the disc is unlocked, then i would use auto installer deluxe 3.0(AID 3.0 as some people refer to it as), and auto installer will detect it as a virgin drive, and will probably ask you to format, and then it will relock on its own, hope you didn't have anything on there you needed, and then you can prepare the drive again, install your dashboards and apps, and done,

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

or since you have a modchip coming, you can always just use it like it is, you shouldnt need to change anything at all... however, you may need to change some of your dash stuff, im not sure but i think its going to boot to a hacked bios at first and its going to try to boot in order that bios is set to boot, but everything may be as it needs to be im not sure